FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Purple Jumper Problem

First of all Hello everyone. I have been reading the website and forums for a long time but only just signed up.

I have just purchased a purple jumper v-neck. I need some advice on what to wear with it. I think I have figured out to wear some brogues and dark jeans but completely clueless when it comes to what to wear underneath the jumper. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Sam

Style Icon
    Men’s Fashion Basics – Part 57 – Key Colour: Purple | Fashionbeans.com

If you haven't checked out that article then make sure you do.

Personally, I think a white shirt is always a safe bet. A white tee would be as good an alternative for more casual looks. Pale blue would be complimentary, and pale yellow would be a nice contrast.
    Note that I'm assuming your jumper to be quite a rich, bold purple; if it's more of a washed out tone you'll need to pair it with stronger, deeper colours - although white will still work.
    And you didn't ask, but to wear over your jumper, the classic four colours of coat will still do you well: black, navy, grey and camel. I have a propensity towards the latter but any one will work.
    Can you post a picture so we can get a better idea of the colour?

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. I was reading about the article on purple and some interesting ideas were thrown up. I might even pair it with the chinos stated in that article.

It is a very deep purple but I cannot find the actual image of it so here is a jumper of similar colour:

Aphrodite

Thank you.

Sam

Style Icon
    That's a lovely colour! Along with my original advice, I'd agree that pairing it with chinos is a great idea.

That colour is subtle enough to work in a smarter sort of smart-casual look too; something like this:

(Every product is from Cos because I'm lazy and Cos is great)

That's an understated, office ready look with a little extra flair courtesy of the purple jumper. It pops because the rest of the outfit is completely monochromatic, so that's one way you could go about it!
    In terms of other colours, what I'd suggest is that you avoid deep, rich colours because these will compete with your jumper. Try paler pastel tones; the only colour I'd suggest wouldn't really work here is orange. You probably didn't have any plans to go around wearing orange anyway!
    One last thing; in general red isn't a fantastic choice to pair with purple, but with the shade of purple you've got I find that a shot of really bold red can look really cool. I have trousers in that tone and pair them with red socks; a red tee would probably do the job well here. If you try the look I put together, a bright red tie would also work well.

Hope that sounds alright to you!

Hello Sam,

Thank you for the detailed reply. It has left me with some ideas and will look forward to messing around and see which looks best.

Sam

Style Icon
    You're welcome man. Also, just going back to your original issue with not knowing what to pair under it, have you considered not wearing anything under it? If it's a really nice knit and you're a sweaty guy then you can get the look with a deep scoop/V neck tee, but either way it's not a bad look sometimes, more casual than a shirt but a bit more elegant than a tee.

Hello Sam,

Thank you for replying again. I have just tried the jumper with a nice white oxford I have bought but it doesnt sit properly. Far too crumpled up. Not sure why I am having problems with the collar.

I think I may just go down the white tee route.

Thanks again!

Another question. I am having problem matching my tan brouges with Chinos. Any particular colour scheme that works well in your experience?

Jay

Style Icon
    If the shirt crumples underneath the jumper, then it's likely you have an ill-fitting shirt that's a little on the baggy side, or the jumper is just too well-fitted.

As for tan brogues and chinos, plums and dark reds look awesome as do greens and stones. Blue is also a classic combination for tan. I'd just avoid mustard colours that are too close to the colour of the brogue (unless you turn them up and have a brightly coloured sock as a break between the two similar colours - in fact that could look quite dashing).

And black!*

*Yes I went there.

+ Reply to Thread