FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Does Knowing The Story Behind a Garment Make You More Likely To Purchase It?

There are two coats in a store, they both look similiar and both cost the same.

One has the designer label and what it was made from.

The second has a tag describing how it was fully manufacture in England, and made from the same cloth worn by Price William at his wedding.

Would you buy the first or second coat?

Does knowing the story behind a garment make you more likely to buy it?

Jay

Style Icon
    Unless I know that the coat was made only during the hours of the full moon in the wilds of deepest Caithness by Highland forest elves living in ancient hollowed trunks of Sessile Oaks, and made from tweed woven from the finest Blackface Sheep wool and stitched with the silk from Meshweb Spiders, I'm just not interested.
    Last edited by Jay; 02-12-2011 at 08:14 PM.

FashionBeans Staff
    I always find these details interesting which most probably affects my judgement. Burberry coats being made by a team of old ladies in Rhondda, Wales makes me think of British brand Burberry, supporting Britain, created by British crafts people.

It works in a similar way to being at a restaurant; I'm more likely to choose the Fusilli Alla Rusticana than I am the Pasta with peppers in a sauce. People are payed alot of money for restaurant talk and the same must apply in fashion.

Indeed when I was buying a bowtie the seller told me they are made of Italian material and I immediately thought better of them. No real reason it's just good advertising.

I know what you mean, marketing plays a major role in the decision process when buying anything due to the way it is presented to you.

Some designer garments do have a considerable mark-up due to the brand name, even if it is the same quality as a much lesser priced product. As for your Italian comment, during a trip to Italy I was told by an Italian leather merchant that anything which passes through Italy at some point during its manufacture can be classed as 'Made in Italy'. This means the majority of a product can be made elsewhere and then the final stage completed in Italy to qualify. But by the sounds of it, you were already buying the bowtie so it must have met your requirements before learning of its origins.

This is why I want to be able to justify the costings in a garment so customers know they are getting quality product which is benefitting their own country. Would you say knowing more about a garment would help you justify the cost?

+ Reply to Thread