FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Fashionisto

Dinner Jacket/Blazer For A Christmas Ball

Need help with jacket/blazer for Christmas ball.
    Budget is 200 pounds top,but would be most happy if i manage to spend 150 pounds for decent one.

Jay

Style Icon
    As it happens, on the site today is a feature on velvet blazers which would perfect for a Christmas ball, soa great place to start picking up ideas.

Fashionisto
    That topic came like ordered.

I found my these on sale that are cheap(120 and 135 pounds), what do you guys think?

Sam

Style Icon
    Jay spoke my thoughts - that article on the velvet jacket cropped up just as I was considering getting one myself.
    As to the ones you posted - I'm not a fan of the first one, which is quite boxy, but the second one looks alright to me - my only concern would be the sleeves, which look a little wide. In any case it's not a bad find. Who's it by?

I just had a quick look for a nice velvet jacket myself - there's a couple, from Reiss and Austin Reed, both hovering just out of your price range at around £230. On the other hand, there are some examples from Topman going fairly cheaply. This would be my choice: http://static.zara.net/photos//2011/I/0/2/p/1815/401/800/1815401800_1_1_3.jpg?timestamp=1322071127611[/IMG]]VELVET BLAZER - Blazers - Collection - Man - ZARA United Kingdom

Though perhaps not styled as in the picture - I'm not a fan of denim and velvet.

Jay

Style Icon
    Likewise, Sam!

I've been feeling that the articles on the site have been more miss than hit lately (you can't please all of the people all of the time, I guess, and I have a fairly clear idea of what I like or not).

I really want a burgundy velvet jacket, but my search has not really turned up much. There's a lovely Paul Smith one, but I'm trying to spend less at the moment so £500 is stretching the December budget. Reiss has a lovely one too, but not in my size.

So, I'm thinking I might have to go the navy route.

This, at Ted Baker, is lovely (I'm a real fan of their blazers):

And the pattern on the jacket just adds a little style to the jacket:

Sam

Style Icon
    I've been quite liking the latest several articles on the site. Of course, I've been aiming to join the team - you might have noticed an article or two credited to Sam Gilbert, which would be me. I noticed you weren't a fan of the piece on the rugby shirt when there's an article going out every weekday there's bound to be a couple that don't work for you.

That navy Ted Baker is certainly nice. Alas, things don't fit me. You do mention often that you're small and skinny; I must be a stick insect, because 36 has been known to hang off the shoulders at Ted Baker and Reiss. This is in part the root of my Topman habit; their 36 must come up small because it fits like a glove.
    I would love the black Reiss one. I would wear it with black shoes, leather gloves, the Reiss navy turtleneck I already own and grey trousers, and make exactly like the guy in the Reiss lookbook. Sadly, I can even less justify spending £200 on a jacket than you can!

Jay

Style Icon
    The Ted Baker blazers tend to come in sizes 2 to 7. I'm not sure what that equates to in inches, but I take a 2 (although how it will fit at the waist is so variable with Ted Baker blazers and I hate standard fit). I can fit a Reiss 36" at the shoulders but it needs tucking at the waist.

And I'm sorry about the rugby shirt, but it has no place on a fashion website. :P

Sam

Style Icon
    Thanks for the sizing advice - I'll have to try a Reiss jacket on again and see about those shoulders.

As for the rugby shirt... well, I'm a fan I can easily understand the root of your dislike. Between the Jack Wills collegiate and the big colourful stripes there's a lot of careful treading to be done.

Sam

Style Icon
    Jay... did you spot this? A nice red velvet Ted Baker blazer, for £275 in a size 2. Could be the solution?
    Mens Coats | Designer Blazers & Leather Jackets For Men - Ted Baker

Jay

Style Icon
    You know, I did spot it after I posted. (I was looking for a photo from the site for the 'look what I'm wearing today' thread and can't believe I missed it first time round.)

It's perfect. I didn't see it in my local Ted Baker, but I may simply have not been paying attention.

I'm going to wear it with with a black roll neck and slicked back quiff, and sit on my sofa at home drinking martinis and smoking gauloises which I will keep in a silver cigarette box in the top pocket of the blazer.*

*except the smoking bit 'cos smoking kills, kids (and makes you smell like my old geography teacher).
    Last edited by Jay; 06-12-2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: punctuation

+ Reply to Thread