FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Academic Conference - Outfit Ideas?

I will be attending a 3 day academic conference in mid April and am now wondering about outfit choices for the event. The first two days I will be a spectator, though no doubt networking, the final day a speaker. I've been to a couple of these before, but rather stupidly didn't pay too much attention what everyone else was wearing (my field tends to be rather female dominated anyway... another reason to make a good impression!)

I don't want to stand out like a sore thumb but nor do I want to revert to the crappy go-to academic uniform of black jeans/tatty trousers and moldy shirt/black jumper with ancient baggy blazer. In my field, the dress code seems to be more smart casual, in which full suits and ties are a rarity, but shirts and blazers quite common. Jeans are common also, though dressed up. I'd like to seem stylish, but not too fusty - this is one fashion area where a heritage look may appear both lazy and stereotypical.

Can anyone suggest any looks/items I could purchase for this event? I'm definitely looking for a blazer of sorts. On a budget, however, so can't go wild in the Reiss and Mr Porter aisles. Oh that I could!

P.s. I don't own a pair of brogues btw, nor can I afford them before the conference!

Style Icon
    ASOS | ASOS Leather Sole Brogues at ASOS

Bought these a while back, they're alot more tan than the picture suggests but for £50, leather all over, they're a steal!

Trend Setter
    What do you already own that could be utilised?

How about a pair of indigo jeans, blue oxford shirt, tan desert boots/chukka boots or similar and then get yourself a blazer?

Asos do cheap oxford shirts:

http://www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Oxford...chQuery=oxford shirt&Rf-400=53&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Blue

Thanks for this. I have a pair of dark blue jeans (not quite indigo, but close) and a white oxford shirt. The ASOS blue example looks well, though - I'll probably pick it up as well. I have a pair of black/blue desert boots. Unfortunately no casual shoes in tan. Do own a pair of black chelsea boots.

As for the other days, I have a nice slim fitting navy shirt, but little idea of what to pair it with. My biggest concern is the blazer. I've been looking for ages for the right piece - something in grey or navy that could go well on a night out.

Style Icon
    If you check eBay, a pair of real leather brogues can be picked up cheaply. I recently bought a pair of oxblood Barker (handmade) brogues for £12.50. They're real leather, basically new, and beautifully made. I've probably saved about £150 buying them from eBay.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ben_ View Post
    If you check eBay, a pair of real leather brogues can be picked up cheaply. I recently bought a pair of oxblood Barker (handmade) brogues for £12.50. They're real leather, basically new, and beautifully made. I've probably saved about £150 buying them from eBay.
    WOWSERS TROUSERS. Now that IS ​a steal!
    “We have such a heritage in this country. People from other countries, all the R’n'B stars, they come to Savile Row and they’re in immaculate three-piece suits. Then you see British guys and they just can’t seem to dress. We have all these fashion agendas, punk and Vivienne Westwood and everything, but the queue seems to be at Abercrombie & Fitch down the road. That is just heartbreaking to me. Why does everyone want a polo shirt and three-quarter-length combat shorts?”
    David Gandy

Style Icon
    Honestly couldn't believe my luck. Came with the original box too! Now I just need to sort out which belt will go with them... (oxblood's a difficult belt colour to match...)

I'll be honest. Its all about suiting up. The days when you arent speaking you need to break the ice when networking. Nothing does this finer than a suit.

I dont think you can beat it. Hope you find an idea you like.

Cheers for the advice. I like your advice about the suit. It would be my approach of choice too in most circumstances, however (humanities) academia is a strange fish regarding suits, in that no-one ever really wears them. The blazer/shirt/trouser combination is more favored, despite this offering less scope for sartorial impact or sharpness. To wear the only suit in the room might make me look like I'm trying too hard and outside the 'scene'. Awkward, I know.

One last plea regarding blazers: grey or navy? I admire the versatility of the latter, however, as I won't be in white all 3 days (and as I've pale skin it has never been a prolific tone in my wardrobe), I'm not sure if it won't clash with darker shirts. On the other hand, grey can look a bit generic. Has anyone got any good suggestions for a blazer (under 100 if poss) that can be dressed both up and down?

+ Reply to Thread