FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Beginner Who Needs Help!

Hey All,

Long time reader but first time poster. A big fan of the site and the forum and was just wondering if I could get some help from the friendly people here . Was a poor student up until recently and finally got a job so I think its about time I turn my dress sense around! A real big fan of dressing well (have always wanted to start) but never really took the time to start building a wardrobe so I always dressed pretty crappy due to I guess...sheer laziness.

I'm really intimidated about starting my wardrobe and just never know where to start. Can anyone here share some insights on how to start? Another question that arose when reading this site was that they always show new trends or new colors and styles for different seasons, how can people afford having so many items of clothing and always upgrading their wardrobe? I honestly see hundreds of items that I like which further stops me from buying anything as I don't know which items I want more. I guess too much choice can be a bad thing!

I guess these questions may come across as a little daft but I really want to start dressing nicer asap and am quite lost!

Hopefully this post makes sense and thanks to anybody who helps in advance.

Cheers!!!

Tim

Well, first let me start by welcoming you (even though i've only been here since yesterday).

Fashionbeans has some nice series about 'fashion basics'. You could start by reading those. I think there's on post on here that sums up some of the 'must-have' items. Read that, and you're halfway there.

Starting a wardrobe is really all about getting the basics right.

Think of one item that you could wear with practically anything. Some mid-blue jeans come to mind. Next, add one item to that that you could also wear with a lot of things. A nice white shirt, maybe? As you get those basics right, you can start looking for things to create your own style. Add a navy jumper (must-have, if you ask me), some nice shoes (brown brogues!), and a nice belt, and you already have one outfit that will look good on it's own, and can be dressed up or down with other items like a scarf, a tie, a nice looking watch, etc...

If you create various 'basic' looks (casual, formal, weekend, party, etc...), you can then buy different items that will compliment those looks.

As far as the fashion goes: some items just never go out of fashion. People have been wearing blue jeans since the '50's (and before that, but they weren't quite 'in fashion' at that time).

Again: if you buy some timeless items, you can dress those up with items that are more or less in fashion.

Thumbs up

Yeah I would agree with Tim,I would start with getting all the classic items like a good pair of dark jeans and a classic colour of chino

these sorts of classics are never out of fashion they just vary in popularity ever so often because they on trend.

Sam

Style Icon
    Regarding the cost of being in fashion - fashion moves in slow cycles. Many of the fashion conscious buy new clothes in preference to XBox games and other luxuries like that, but more to the point fashion involves as much buying of new things as it does digging out old things from the back of the wardrobe.
    You should have a solid wardrobe of clothes that work for you whatever the fashion climate; navy blazer, chinos, jeans, white/blue/pink shirts, etc. are common choices for basic standbys, and rightly so. If your core wardrobe works, then the odd trend purchase here or there can be manageable, and workable into your outfits; there are two seasons in fashion (Spring/Summer and Autumn/Winter) and they're when you want to consider buying into trends. Between those two seasons, fashion doesn't tend to move much.
    As for you personally - don't bother with any trends yet. This includes bold trend colours like orange, unless you're really certain that it works for you and that you can wear it often. Start by creating a core wardrobe of perfect basics. Get the fit right, get the best quality stuff that you can justify to yourself - and if that's Topman then so be it, we can't all be decked out in Gucci.
    The essential pieces I'd advice you get are:
    • Dark, clean, well cut blue slim jeans (buy less of these but spend more, you really won't need many)
    • Smart/casual trousers (stone chinos or grey flannels will work on the weekend or a smart-casual office environment)
    • White tees (buy four or five once you've found the brand that fits and feels perfect - American Apparel have been lauded around here of late)
    • White/blue/pink shirts (ditto white tees, but maybe skip American Apparel this time)
    • A smart jacket (typically a navy or grey blazer. No nonsense, single breasted, notch or peak lapel, perfect fit.)
    • A casual jacket (Leather is a good starting point, but there are a lot of options)
    • A coat (a trench, an overcoat... the main colours are black, grey, navy and camel, and I'd advise you to stick to them for your main coat)
    • Smart/casual brown shoes. Brogues, derbies or chelsea boots are probably the best options here.
    • And the accesories I'd start with are a great scarf and a brown belt.
    This is going to vary for everybody but, formal events excepted, I think that about covers the basics.
    Hope that's some help - we seem to get a lot of these topics. Perhaps we should come up with a good guide and sticky it...

Wow...been busy for a few days so didn't have time to check the response. But thanks everyone for the tips, very helpful advice by everyone! I guess starting a wardrobe isn't as intimidating as it seems. Ill be busy beginning the process this x-mas season and hopefully i'll have successful updates in the new year! One more question, how long do most people's clothing items last and how do you ensure that they last long? It feels like anything I buy usually is misshapen or looks run down within a year. Is this normal or am I just not taking care of my clothing properly?

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGekko View Post
    One more question, how long do most people's clothing items last and how do you ensure that they last long? It feels like anything I buy usually is misshapen or looks run down within a year. Is this normal or am I just not taking care of my clothing properly?
    Well, there are a lot of factors to take into account. Materials and construction are very important in a garment to stand the test of time. Good quality pieces are far more durable than high street ones. Moreover, some materials keep their look and shape easily, whereas delicate fabrics (silk, lace, almost everything that needs to be dry-cleaned) are prone to look worn off quickly.

You should also consider how often the pieces of clothing are worn. If you wear the same jacket daily it'll surely show some signs of detriment over a year. People with large wardrobes who altern more will percieve their clothes as more durable, but they actually last the same ammount of wears.

+ Reply to Thread