FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last
    Jay

Style Icon

Ss12

So, it's looking like winter is over and spring is here (I've spoken too soon, I'm sure) and it feels wrong to be rocking my AW heritage look in this warmer weather, so its out with the tweed, heavy wools, cable knits and fair isles and (shock, horror), the brogues (they always seem to suit AW much better for some reason, although I'll no doubt still wear them occasionally).

My major style touchstone for this SS is definitely italian Riviera chic - none of this clumsy English nautical nonsense, all stripes and hideous boat shoes - but chic pastels and whites (pastel blue is my go to colour this season), tailored cotton trousers, blazers, the ever versatile oxford shirt (with the Italian sleeve roll for casual coolness - I am going to have veer away from my top button done up to carry off this look), loafers).

My other style go-to this SS is going to be American Prep - throwing in some bold block colouring into that Riviera look - crisp bright sharp yellows and sky blues, ties and bow ties.

In my mental basket to be purchased to complete this look are the following few items (I have most of what I've described already):

This jacket and trousers (paired with a white Oxford and loafers, this will rock my wardrobe this season - and will make awesome separates too):

This double breasted blazer (with white cotton trousers and my PS blue suede brogues - awesomeness)

And these shoes: these are possibly the greatest shoes ever made in the history of the universe ever (sorry no pic):
    Hugo - Shop

So what looks will you be rocking this SS, what are your style touchstones? And what are going to be the key purchases for your SS12 wardrobe?

Trend Setter
    Its most definitively been summer up here the past few days, shorts have been dusted down and have spent the past few days in the park surrounded by neds with there taps aff. For me, number one is budget so I am going to try and keep the pieces versatile, and just go with lighter colours, and not invest in per say a ss wardrobe but something that can be worn all year round, as no doubt it could sleet next week.

Im looking to play about with tan and black a bit more, when its cooler, and perhaps some blue tonal outfits. On the lookout for some light linen blazers, not sure where the best place for these would be?

Trend Setter
    I know what you mean, I certainly can't be wearing heavy knit roll necks, corduroy and tweed in this weather!

Have been taking advantage of the tempretures in order to break out some of the items I bought in sales and on eBay and stashed away, such as suede sand coloured brogues, clarks desert boots, light coloured chino's and a few shirts.

I've not broken out the shorts yet, but am contemplating getting another pair. Currently debating this pair from asos:

or these from uniqlo:

FashionBeans Staff
    Shan't be touching shorts; I'm not a fan, my go to looks will mostly include chinos and tailored trousers, recently invested in the Bradshaw DB suit from Reiss:

118034-22-3.jpg

Will mostly be wearing separately but it seemed worthwhile buying the whole lot (specially on uniform discount - 75% meant the jacket was about 60 down from 245)

But I'll be throwing that on over a selection of shirts and using it with my stone and putty chinos, some other tailored trousers, Double monks and Suede Loafers. Occasionally sockless.

Keeping it simple really, can't be doing with anything flash, I'd like to try my hand at Italian laid back refinement.

For me it's going to be pretty similar to my regular wardrobe, but with a bit more colour and some lighter washes for denim. Looking forward to busting out the chino shorts with a jumper/cardigan/jacket and some sandals or loafers. Just a subtle reinterpretation of my regular wear, with some unique twists, rather than an all-out style reinvention.

A couple of pics from the new all saints lookbook have pretty much nailed the sort of thing I'm considering, unsurprisingly.

I'm particularly looking forward to working my new biker jacket into some softer looks, and mixing up cotton knits with skinny jeans and sandals.

Oh, and lots of cuffing and ankles. Looking forward to giving the loafer collection some serious play.

Trend Setter
    It's red hot in the day but cools right down in the evening, so will continue to rock A/W gear on nights out, and rolled up chinos or chino shorts in the day.

Style Icon
    I agree with Tone, I'll probably still rock A/W in the evening sometimes. If I'm going out for a drink in the evening, no reason why the old Tweed blazer can't come out from time to time.

My plan is a light deconstructed, double-breasted blazer, a tee and tailored shorts or rolled up chinos during the day.

Although I know the hate for boat shoes on this forum, I picked some ASOS ones up FREE from a student clothes swap day the other week and they're all I've got for now. I'm still on the search for cheap loafers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nath6644 View Post
    I agree with Tone, I'll probably still rock A/W in the evening sometimes. If I'm going out for a drink in the evening, no reason why the old Tweed blazer can't come out from time to time.

My plan is a light deconstructed, double-breasted blazer, a tee and tailored shorts or rolled up chinos during the day.

Although I know the hate for boat shoes on this forum, I picked some ASOS ones up FREE from a student clothes swap day the other week and they're all I've got for now. I'm still on the search for cheap loafers.
    Boat shoes are still great, don't worry about it! You don't have to stop wearing something you like just because it's not the latest thing or is too popular.

Trend Setter
    I'm going for a fairly casual look this S/S. I think I'll mostly be wearing chinos or smart shorts, with loafers/boat shoes and just a t-shirt or smart shirt. Then in the evening I'll probably add a thin cotton jumper, something like this from Reiss:

REISS Mens Substance Oatmeal High Neck Knit

I find it too hot to wear anything like a blazer during the day, though I may opt for one during the evening to smarten a look up. Great looks so far people!

Style Icon
    I'll be convincing myself my brogues are still fine to wear. So far I'm convinced.

+ Reply to Thread