FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
    geo

Fashionisto

Narrow Chinos/Jeans.

I recently got a pair of chinos altered to fit me perfectly for summer. They were fine with boots in the winter but to wear them with loafers and no socks, I wanted them shortened and tapered. When I got them altered, the tailor put in all the pins etc. to narrow them and obviously was more concerned with how they fit and not the measurement.

Anyway, they fit perfectly for summer wear and are fairly slim with narrow opening (12 inches). Not sure if this is considered fairly narrow? But i would imagine so. Though considering I have a small waist it is proportional to my body size. Would be interested to know how narrow anyone wears theirs?

The only thing i find with narrow trousers, although perfect for loafers and boat shoes etc., they cannot really be worn with proper shoes as much because the way they sit on the shoe doesn't look as great. Does anyone else find this?

Any thoughts/comments on this welcome.

Style Icon
    Do you mean because they don't sit on the shoe, or because they're too small...? I haven't really found this myself. I like my chinos/jeans to be slightly too long so I can roll them (or buy short-kicks and wear them with boots).

Having said this, I have thought of having some chinos tapered like you say. May I ask how much the job cost?

geo

Fashionisto
    Basically the way they sit on a lace up shoe. Look great with a narrow opening with loafers and shoes like that but it seems when you wear them with more formal shoes, they look ok, but just don't seem quite right - the shoes look quite large, probably because of the narrow opening of trouser. Again, it really seems to depend on which lace up shoes you wear - I have a brown pair with the front tongue sitting quite high and then a black lace up in a more traditional style and the trousers look totally different depending on which you wear.

The tapering cost 14.99 and was an excellent job.

Style Icon
    Thanks for the reply. That's not a bad price: i might look into this, thanks.

I have size 7/8 feet, so I don't really have the issue of my feet looking big!

+ Reply to Thread