FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 ... Last

H&M jacket with elbow patches

Hi There,
    First of all sorry for the HUGE picture! I bought this H&M blazer a while ago and havent got round to wearing it as Im stuck for clothes to go with. Im going to a party soon and need to finally wear it. It has black/dark blue elbow patches too. I was thinking indigo/skinny jeans with black or white shirt buttoned up. With brogues or is that too much teacher style?
    Appreciate your thoughts guys of anything else?.... Simon

Trend Setter
    I'm thinking of getting the classic Fred Perry polo, in a blue-ish colour, as I'm currently lacking a lot of blue in my wardrobe: http://www.fredperry.com/media/catal...3600_298_1.JPG What would this go well with? (Currently I have Bronze and Burgundy chinos from Topman, slim fit light blue washed jeans, a black and a grey chino. I think it could go specifically well with my burgundy chinos: http://media.topman.com/wcsstore/Top...DBRG_large.jpg Also what would go well with these? http://media.topman.com/wcsstore/Top...CBRN_large.jpg What do you guys think ?

Sam

Style Icon
    Sharker - consider pairing it with a V-neck or crew neck tee, a la Douglas Booth. A scoop neck can be a good choice but get it wrong and it looks more One Direction (bad) than Tinie Tempah (good.) A lightweight scarf, preferably in silk, untied or thrown around the shoulder, can add the requisite dandyism to this look. Slim/skinny jeans or chinos or even, if you fancy dressing up, smart trousers in a contrasting colour, and you're away. A shirt could work too, but I'd advise you to avoid the black; black shirts are hard to get right and pairing them with blue jeans is probably a recipe for disaster.

Malti - both pairs of chinos are solid choices; brown and blue is an excellent combination and both are nice variations on the theme - I especially love the burgundy pair, I think they'll go a treat. Also consider plain old jeans; the right pair in a straight, slim or skinny fit depending on what works best for you will go with most things. You could add a touch of casual, Summery European chic with a pair of white trousers or jeans when the weather permits too. Whatever you do, make sure you make the most of its preppy/mod heritage; it's all too easy to look like you don't really know what you're doing in a polo.

Hey Sam, thanks for the reply.
    I'll stick with a plain white vneck T and skinny jeans. Brown brogues or dark brown/grey brogue boots do you think?

Sam

Style Icon
    Depends on the colour of your jeans, but in general I reckon both sound fine.

Style Icon
    I think brown look infinitely better, but that's just my opinion.

ASOS | ASOS Slim Fit Herringbone Blazer In Brown at ASOS

with a cream oxford shirt, standard navy skinny trousers, and standard orangey-brown brogues/belt

now to the best of my rather limited knowledge i can't find anything categorically 'wrong' with this outfit, but it feels a little lifeless. i thought about a bow tie (i'm kind of obsessed..) but i'm not confident enough to purchase anything. help me to accessorize, please? : )

Sam

Style Icon
    Hey mate,
    Sounds like a good outfit. When you say lifeless, do you mean it's missing a statement piece? Because while it is that, it's still an interesting outfit owing to the tan leathers (that's what I assume you mean by orangey brown) and complimenting herringbone + oxford cotton textures.
    A bow tie would be a cool choice - sounds not unlike the kind of outfit our Jay would pop down to Sainsbury's in I'd opt for one with pointed ends for a bit of a twist, and go for one in a sensible size and subtle colour so you don't look like a clown; I know there's a certain school of thought that says you shouldn't do statement pieces by halves but honestly, discretion is the better part of valour, or in this case the better part of dapperness.
    Other things you could change for more colourful variants include the belt and socks. A wild colour in either pace could be a nice touch.
    Things you could add could be a hat, a bag or a scarf - or, if you can put the outfit together, all three. A driving cap would be a cool choice with this look, as would a colourful satchel or a nicely textured wool scarf.

Lastly, may I make a different type of suggestion? I loathe, despise, and abhor those particular plastic buttons that can be found on all manner of high street jackets. They're terrible quality, terrible looking and they also seem to have a sort of swastika etched on to them by a five year old, or at least mine did. Swap them out for a set of nice wooden types and your jacket will suddenly look much classier.
    You can also take a liberty or two with the thread you sew the new set on with; on brown jackets with brown buttons for example, I like to sew the cuff buttons nearest the wrists on with bright blue thread. I like to think of it as being an almost Paul Smith-esque touch, although in reality it's simply whimsy.
    Just a thought

alright, thank you for the reply. i figured that a red would be my best option for the bow tie given the surrounding colours. would burgundy 'fit', or should i look for a lighter tone? or perhaps something completely different??

oh, and i'll look into finding some new buttons lol. : )
    Last edited by johno; 27-02-2012 at 11:27 AM.

PB270224_.jpg picture by jason57160 - Photobucket

Any Idea what to wear with this? Crew neck t shirts seem to clash too much with the collar, and colour wise i'm hopeless!

+ Reply to Thread
First ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 ... Last