FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Fashionisto

Gant Basil Green Blazer

I keep seeing this in promotional shots and have basically decided that I must have it. Problem is it's 350 and only seems to be available on Gant's website. I can't afford it. Anyone seen anything similar anywhere? I've literally looked at every shop that I can think of that might have a more reasonably priced alternative (Topman, Burton, River Island, UO, Asos, Next, M&S, FCUK, All Saints, House of Fraser, John Lewis, H&M, Selfridges, Pull & Bear, Gap, Bananna Republic, myWardrobe, Ted Baker) and come up with literally nothing. I can't believe it's possible to get blazers in just about every shade of blue/beige/grey, along with reds, browns, oranges(!) and yellows(!!), yet green is practically non-existent bar the occasional tweed blazer. Anyone know anywhere else I could try?

Sam

Style Icon
    There are two options on topman - but I assume they're not green enough for you?
    Suit Jackets & Blazers - Suits - TOPMAN[green]&noOfRefinements=1

Style Icon
    I may be slightly mad, but could you find a white/pale cotton blazer and dye it green?

Style Icon
    I just eBayed "green blazer" and broke it down by adding a few reputable brands. Try that and see if there's anything suitable.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    There are two options on topman - but I assume they're not green enough for you?
    Suit Jackets & Blazers - Suits - TOPMAN[green]&noOfRefinements=1
    Yeah, not really the shades I was looking for.

eBay - there is one that looks like it's the right colour. Think it was a Brook Travener one. I know they sell BT in my local co-op so I'll take a look tomorrow to see how the fit is (aren't they kind of an old man brand? I'm thinking it might be a bit long/standard fit and at 120-140 it's too pricey to just order).

Dyeing - I'm a little unsure about this idea having never tried it before. I've got a feeling I might wind up with a blazer that looks like a white/cream one dyed green. Will look in to it though, I could get a suitable jacket for about 50.

Trend Setter
    I know the blazer you mean.Very nice. But as you say, very expensive, and only made of cotton! I'm having a similar dilemma with some green trousers/chino's I have seen, just can;t find anything similar.

Dyeing might work, as long as it's 100% cotton and you use enough dye. But i've never tried anything like that. Maybe buy some dead cheap chino's on eBay for 1 and dye them, see how it works out?

Fashionisto
    Been reading up on dyeing. I think this blazer might end up the unfortunate victim;

Mens Next blazer | eBay

Going to look for a test subject in my local charity shops though and if that goes well I might dye something more expensive.

Sam

Style Icon
    I believe I have turned up the perfect thing:
    Khaki Moleskin Blazer - Blazers - Austin Reed

Fashionisto

That's the blazer. I've decided to drop it for now and see if anything turns up. I've now seen quite a few nice green jackets at reasonable prices, but they all lack the pop of colour this one has. Will keep an eye out for it in the sales/hope Topman/Asos make something similar.

The one you posted Sam is really nice (there's quite a few I like there actually, almost wish I hadn't looked now ) so will check it out next time I'm in Birmingham (more for cut/fit/length than anything else, so if they're out of this specific one it shouldn't matter, they all seem to be quite similar). Love the bright blue one too which might well find itself purchased.

Dyeing was going to wind up a bit of a mess. Had a read in to it and the main problem is - even if I get the dye to take, get it even and manage to avoid shrinking the garment - most thread is polycotton/polyester and won't accept the cold water dyes. Even if everything else goes well (and that's quite a big 'if' in itself) odds on I will find I've got contrast stitching everywhere. Not worth the risk IMHO.

Getting one of these far-eastern companies to make one for me was the other possibility, but that will have to wait as I haven't got 120-200 to spare at the moment. Possibly in a month or two, but then again for that money I think I'd rather wait and just see if the real thing goes on sale for 200 in July/August/September.

Trend Setter
    Resurrecting this thread as I'm tempted by this:

+ Reply to Thread