FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Clothes For The Skinny Male

I'm 6ft 2 and really skinny, is there a particular style I should be going for? or is it just making sure that the clothes always fit?

Sam

Style Icon
    Hi mate,

Firstly don't go for trousers and jeans that fit too skinny; these will not work for you! A straight/slim fit is going to be the ideal for you. Being tall, one thing that will look fantastic on you is a long jacket or coat; down below your knees is a real statement, but anything short of that will suit you down to the ground.
    As for general rules for the skinnier guy - don't go for ties/lapels that are too wide, it will look great on the model I'm sure but it won't suit you. Similarly, double breasted jackets and coats are risky territory - but you can pull it off if you get the perfect fit.
    Big fabrics (I.E. a chunky cable knit) will bulk you out and make you look a little broader, that's an easy one.
    But you're tall and slim - designers like to dress your body type because things hang off it well, so don't worry too much.
    Brands I'd recommend you have a look at are Topman, Reiss and The Kooples, among others; those are brands I've found that fit the slimmer guy well.

That's a limited set of tips but I hope it's helpful!

FashionBeans Staff
    Hey Johnny,

Being very much of that description myself (6ft 2, ribs showing!) I know a thing or two about this.

Firstly, it's important to note that how I dress may be different to yourself. My personal style is the more Pete Doherty Dandy look, but this may not suit your personality. Check out our article here: Dressing For Your Age – The Twenties (20s) | Fashionbeans.com It's about how to dress in your 20s but also has a section on choosing what's right for you.

As to your actual question, it's the fit that is more important than the style. Any style should work on a tall, thin person however not every fit.

Just as a prompt in the right direction I'd advise looking at our FashionBeans MAN: Casual Tailoring piece. It includes the 6ft model Michael Roberts, and looking at the looks we've put together for him should be able to relate to yourself. FashionBeans MAN: Casual Tailoring | Fashionbeans.com

Having used Topman's Personal Shopping service, I'd greatly advise it. The experts offernthemselves for free and can tell what fit of jacket you are just by looking at you. Read my review here: Topman Personal Shopping Service Review | Fashionbeans.com

I hope this has been of some help.
    Evan

wear clothes with think fabric. never wear light clothes.

Style Icon
    As a tall, skinny guy, I'd say don't be put off skinny jeans! Avoid spray ons, but I think as long as you wear them with confidence, skinny jeans look better on tall and thin guys than short and chubby.

after agonising over my weight for years, i think im finally getting around to embracing my thin silloette. Its the shape most male models have these days anyway!

Thanks guys, really helpful

+ Reply to Thread