FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3

Trend Setter
    Fashion is a conversation, wearing different things means you are communicating different things. Don't dress fashionably and then make essex girls your target market, find the women that receive your messages correctly. I don't really feel like I have trouble with girls, you're never going to have every girl like you, but you can have more than enough after you.

Style Icon
    This is the thing though, if you didn't talk to a girl who dressed in a way different to you, who's to say that she couldn't be 'the one'? Personality wise you could get on like a house on fire (I speak from experience...) Of my friends with girlfriends, I don't know of any that dress similarly, or look like they're reading from the same fashion blog, yet I know for a fact that the girls will have some influence over their fashion.

I think the influence a girlfriend has is inevitable, and in the smallest case unnoticeable. Little things like: 'I like that top', 'those are my favourite shoes' will shape an outfit. At the end of the day, surely if their commenting on the clothes that you already like, your decision will be influenced? I can't see any relationship where there is zero third part influence, no matter how proud one is.

Style Icon
    I feel my decision to post this thread as painted me as being rather celibate and unlucky with the fairer sex aha! I hasten to add this is not true, though I haven't held up a decent relatioship in a while.

And Ben, sorry to disagree =P but me and my last ex looked IDENTICAL stylewise. We got dressed together, did our hair together and we both had quiffs sometimes...

..really wierd now I think about it aha.

Style Icon
    See there's nothing wrong about that at all Nath! I'd like to find a girl who shares my interest in fashion. But the friends I alluded to would most likely find that situation a form of torture, unless it led to sex.

And I don't think the topic painted you as celibate at all; perhaps just frustrated.

I think body shape is just as important as the clothes you wear. Sorry to anyone this offends but if you're too fat then a 500 suit isn't going to help, or any of the 'latest' most expensive clothes. And of course confidence in the way you are helps even more. Do you ever note people when you are walking down the street, if you look at them, they look at their clothes, they look themselves up and down, this shows lack of confidence. Look in the mirror before you go out, be happy with your own look and be confident about yourself, then everything else should just happen.

I think they are Always willing to appears Appealing and elegant Always.

I definitely noticed that I've started to get significantly more admiring glances, and sometimes even more than that, on the tube and out in public since I've started dressing just a little more smartly.

I definitely still only do 'truly smart' for weddings and funerals, so you could describe it as a sort of loose, soft edged, slightly roughish brand of unstructured smart(ish)ness

I've hit 40 and duly ditched the jeans/t shirt/sweatshirt/trainers/bomber jacket look that used to be my long time staple casual look.

I now favour a look of unstructured (but very well fitting) blazers (allsaints), plain high quality t shirts or shirts, i still wear almost only jeans but now favour pricier better quality denims, and simple high quality leather 'boots for life' type ankle boots......(simple, unfussy leather sandals when the sun comes out)

Its a versatile look that seems to bridge the smart and casual divide and works well for both work and otherwise

It really does seem to suit my age and build, I feel very comfortable with it and I've gotten only positive comments from others (even men too strangely enough)....also even though its a sort of 'grown up' look most people I meet think I'm a lot younger than I am (I'm 6 ft with an athletic/muscular build and permastubble since i despise shaving and succumb only once a week)

I have to say my inspiration, during my period in the sartorial wilderness of exiting my 30s and finally realising I couldnt still pull off the look I'd been sporting since my early twenties, came very much from a photo i happened across of David Gandy and thought....'damn that looks good' - so simple, clean, elegant, effortless and versatile:

And you can mix and match with so many other items in your wardrobe (although I only wear a scarf in winter with a coat....looks too 'try-hard' for my taste any other way)

The only thing is I've yet to find a pair of trainers that I really like and works with this base

...any suggestions ?

Anyhow, I've certainly noticed a major difference in the way women react to me since this wardrobe update, I've felt a huge surge in my own confidence, and my girlfriend seems to love it too.....so.......there you go

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    If you think being stylish is going to pay off and get you the attention of womankind when you're older, you're in for a big letdown.
    Errmmm..........in my experience.....I definitely beg to differ.

It CAN and DOES make a huge difference !!

+ Reply to Thread