FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Question DIY: Would You Not Want To Make The Clothes Yourself?

Hey guys,
    Well I've been finding it hard to find clothes that I like as I am from Europe and I'm now living in NZ, where the fashion is... Well there's none, because people don't care much about how they look.
    Which is why I love going Op-Shopping (second hand clothes) as you can get clothes that are sometimes from the US or Europe and great quality clothes at a great price. The only problem is that often the clothes are a bit big or it would look better tailored. The only problem is that I don't know much about sewing machines or how to use them...

Do you guys know any good sites/books where i could learn to ether tailor my own clothes or make my own clothes from scratch?

I always fancied the idea of taking a shirt to pieces and drawing round the shapes for patterns then making my own. I particularly like tab-colar shirts which are not easy to come by and cost too much to have made. Same could be done with trousers too, just unpick them and lay out the peices and make patterns. One problem is knowing which way/direction to cut the new material as it has to be cut in a certain way. I have a hand sewing machine as I'm too frightened to use an electric one in case it puts the needle through my finger. Here in the UK there are sewing classes some evenings or sewing machine shops that will give leasons, but no idea about NZ sorry.

+ Reply to Thread