FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
    Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin Money View Post

Ridiculous shit from today's fresh crop:

Y'see, I think these are the two best photos of all you've linked. Take the hat off the first guy, and the outfit is a straightforward, well-coordinated smart/casual look.

And while I think the second guy looks a bit of a turnip, the shoes, suit and shirt I'd wear (although that suit is fecking expensive, I'm guessing).

Anyway, I dress more like those guys on a day to day basis than any of the other photos that were linked. To say it's overdone when I see far more folks dressed like in the OP doesn't chime with my experience at all.

Sam

Style Icon
    I just knew you'd like the top one Jay :') not the coat in the second? I think that coat looks awesome.

With regards to redressing the balance of street style photography, it's at least in part because of the sourcing; you rightly say that Fashionbeans is one of the few sites targeted at real blokes amidst a mass of blogs from the "fashion crowd." That mass of blogs is what feeds into the street style section on this site, in addition to the shots taken by the house photographers. It's a melting pot.

Trend Setter
    My point got lost in the shuffle. I respect that guy with the stars ability to dress like that, but I also admire it. It is cool, even if the outfit isn't. Get me? People should be more creative, not less. That outfit is an interesting artistic statement. However, the fashion week people aren't doing that, they are just going overboard with trends. What I am dealing with is fashion as art v.s. fashion that imitates art but actually is more concerned with life style marketing.

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I just knew you'd like the top one Jay :') not the coat in the second? I think that coat looks awesome.
    The guy in the top photo has got everything right as far as I'm concerned.

I can't really see enough of the coat in the second photo. The coat itself might be OK, but he looks a tool wearing it over his shoulders; it's too affected.

Editor-In-Chief
    I thought I better comment on this seeing as this is a recurring theme that is going to get out of hand soon.

Street Style
    I'll start with street style, mainly because that is the main topic of this thread. As we have grown from a humble blog to a respected publication, I have always endeavoured to add new features that would expand our content and offer alternative inspiration for the readers. Street style was becoming increasingly popular at the time so I contacted the largest street style resources on the web to see if they would like to collaborate. Some said yes , others told us politely where to go.

The idea was to make a one stop resources so you all didn't have to visit 15 individual blogs each day/week, especially when some only update one or two photos a month. We literally list EVERY male we come across. Now I am like a lot of you, a lot of the outfits are not what you would call 'everyday', some are not generally 'wearable' and others are preposterous.

However, it is all inspiration, and just because 20 guys on here don't particularly like every photo we list, it doesn't mean that there aren't thousands of others who do or can take even the smallest bit of inspiration from it - whether that be colour combinations, a pair of shoes they love, or simply the way they tied a scarf or put their pocket square in.

I have tried paying for photographers, I have tried putting out calls for photographers on the homepage, but the fact is, there aren't many about that either want to do it regularly, or will stick at it past the first batch (or once the weather gets cold). Plus we haven't got enough money to hire someone full time, so we are at the mercy of the websites we collaborate with - who are all brilliant by the way, and very generous to allow us to utilise their photographs.

Casual Style
    Now for the other criticism we are having recently about not enough 'casual style'. The fact is, the industry has moved in a more refined direction over the past year and a hacriticism lf. Every single designer and high street retailer is featuring blazers, trousers, chinos, brogues more and that whole image is what is being pushed across the whole.

Being a publication dedicated to men's fashion, we are again at the mercy of the industry as to what we can show you. The look books we like to include, the products we include and everything else is sourced from the current industry. That being said, we do like to at least try and offering something different or altogether more casual, such as the 90s trend recently, printed shorts, the humble t-shirt article, coloured shoes, men's backpacks etc. - we even have a polo shirts one and sportswear trend next week.

I am not sure exactly what each of you is looking for but I am always available through private message on the forum, on contactus@fashionbeans.com and you have a dedicated forum for article requests on here. So why not share some of your ideas or specific topics you want covering? It would help us tailor the content to your needs.

Just try and remember that there is only a certain amount of times we can tell you how to wear a t-shirt, and we are trying to help beginners dress better - the other articles are again there for inspiration, so you pick and choose what you like or don't like. For example, you might like the sports jacket but none of the ways we showcased how to use it - doesn't stop you buying one, wearing it with a scoop tee, jeans and trainers. We never tell you that 'you MUST dress like this'.

I hope that clears some things up for you all. I think there is a tendency for long term readers to have a bit of a seen that, done that feeling but I think this can happen with anything after an extended period of time; music, tv shows..... hell, even girlfriends!

That doesn't mean I won't take ideas or suggestions on board. I am dedicated to making this the very best resource for men's fashion, so just get in contact if you want to discuss further.
    Founder & Editor In Chief of FashionBeans.com. If you have any questions about the site or want to help out in moderating our forums, please send me a PM.

Our regular readers should check out FitnessBeans.com - our brand new website concentrating on men's health and fitness.

Sam

Style Icon
    Agreed in all regards. Jay and Ben. And 'Shorts. Which is what I'll be calling you now. We'll see if it doesn't catch on.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin Money View Post
    See, whilst the clutch, the pose (don't even get me started either) and the turnup on the jeans looks awful, this is an outfit I could see myself wearing. Jacket and jeans from All Saints, shirt from Paul Smith; shoes from Barker or Loake. Job done as far I'm concerned.

I think Ben has explained the situation perfectly. And as Jay points out, some of the looks are extremely well put-together. Accessible for us? Perhaps difficult, but maybe it's better to have a series of ideas, rather than a list of 'this is how you should dress'. Certainly the former allows me to experiment more.

I still think you're write about casual styles though Pins; a separate section would be useful, especially if it included links to specific high-street items featured in the looks.

Jay

Style Icon
    But the street style section already does include links to high street items similar to those in the photos, no? (For most looks at least.)

Personally, I think the guy in the above photo could find a shirt that actually fit, and the glasses and jacket are too cliche. (Hello, Andy Warhol.) I don't have a problem with the turn ups. Horses for courses, and all that.

Over all though, I find the street style section the most useful part of the site and I've probably made more purchases from things I've spotted then than on any other part of the site.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Herbert View Post

However, it is all inspiration, and just because 20 guys on here don't particularly like every photo we list, it doesn't mean that there aren't thousands of others who do or can take even the smallest bit of inspiration from it - whether that be colour combinations, a pair of shoes they love, or simply the way they tied a scarf or put their pocket square in.
    The exact reason why I love the section! Colour combos and cheeky little ideas with pocket squares or how a scarf is knotted.

FashionBeans Staff
    It would seem from comments that posture and subject have quite a bearing on the overall success of an image/look. Many people have noted the quite frankly ridiculous poses being pulled and the chap in Ben's post has an absolutely horrendous posture, but his look can work, it is a outfit that can be adapted to fit another's style.

Posture makes all the difference and it is perhaps the photographic license that makes a hash of the look rather than the other way around. Perhaps we should ALL endeavour to look past what is obvious and try to appreciate what is underneath. Outfit inspiration can come from the most unlikely places; I for example decided on an entirely new outfit, using the items I already own, whilst standing around at work today and taking inspiration from some chap that had at least tried but wasn't quite there with his own outfit.

+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last