FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Over 30 Years Old - What Should I Wear?

i am 37 years old and i am fustrated about what to wear (i am not married by the whey and in good shape). i want a look that reflects my personality ,a little sophisticated, a little rock ,a little intellectual but also not formal and typical style . I dont want to look like i forgot to grow up but also not to look too old. what should i do? some pictures would be helpfull

thank you

Jay

Style Icon
    Good news! Never has being a mature bloke being more in vogue than it is right now. With heritage looks and geography teacher, traditional fabrics (tweed, cable knits), brogue footwear, grown up tailoring and detailing (pocket squares and tie bars) all the rage this AW, and with older models gracing catwalks and older gents as some of the big style icons right now (Nick Wooster, for example) it's easier for the older guy to look stylish than ever.

And you will pull it off with a maturity and gravitas that the younger gentleman can only dream of.

However, and it's a big however. There's a fine line for the older gent when it comes to this kind of grown up styling. When applying the heritage/geography it's all too easy to look like an actual geography teacher (something the younger guys will never be in danger of), so it's the application of the finer details that make a difference.

Here are my tips for making grown up styling really work:

1. Skinnys: If you're a slimmer guy then you can wear a sophisticated outfit (say a tweed blazer with a chambray shirt) with skinny jeans, chinos or cords to give the outfit a modern, sharper edge. Turn those skinnys up for extra street smarts. It's a wonderfully simple way to balance traditional and modern (or sophisticated and a little rock to use your phrasing). Be bold and wear colour with those traditional outfits. Rocking a tweed blazer with red chinos or green cords brings style by the bucketload

2. Fit is everything: when wearing tailored items make sure they fit properly. A blazer that's a little too big round the waist, just makes it look like you have middle aged spread. If necessary, visit a tailor and have items properly fitted. I have all my blazers nipped in at the waist and trousers tapered for a slimmer line. It makes a huge difference to the silhouette and can take pounds and years off someone. Avoid baggy jumpers and ill-fitting shirts. Sharp is the key word.

3. Traditional items work for the older guy so well! Tweed blazers or trousers (or even the whole suit), brogues (and brogue boots for a modern twist), chunky cable knits, fair isles and nordic patterning, pocket squares and tie bars all look wonderful

and my big one:

4. The haircut. A modern, on trend haircut can make the difference between rocking geography teacher chic and looking like the geography teacher. The quiff is on trend (and likely to be so for a while I think) and is something I'm rocking at the moment.

Some photos that make this kind of look work (not all older guys, but they exemplify what I'm meaning):

Sam

Style Icon
    Jay, I think I'll bookmark this and come back to it in 25 odd years! Sounds solid.

I want to be George Clooney when I grow up. But every fucker in my family has gone bald. If you'll excuse my French!

Jay

Style Icon
    In 25 years you'll be wearing silver all-in-one suits and hoverboots!*

Reading the OP back, I'm not sure I nailed what he was after though. Mr OP, post some photos of looks you like! That'll help us to make better recommendations.

*And dying from a lack of global resources.
    Last edited by Jay; 12-12-2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Sam

Style Icon
    I'm not really qualified to offer advice. But I will say that the most ageing thing in the entire world is loose fitting knitwear - just don't do it.

FashionBeans Staff
    Hey Niksavv,

You're in luck! I've been hammering away at our latest series: 'Dressing your Age'. Due to be published either at the end of this or early next week, we have the article telling you how to dress in your 30s and 40s. This article should give you all the answers.

Evan

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan John View Post
    Hey Niksavv,

You're in luck! I've been hammering away at our latest series: 'Dressing your Age'. Due to be published either at the end of this or early next week, we have the article telling you how to dress in your 30s and 40s. This article should give you all the answers.

Evan
    Thing is though, at that age the very worse thing you can do is dress your age.
    Last edited by Jay; 12-12-2011 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I'm not really qualified to offer advice. But I will say that the most ageing thing in the entire world is loose fitting knitwear - just don't do it.
    Nothing wrong with an over size knit over a checked shirt with slim fit jeans and desert boots though right? Especially with a nice duffle over the top.

I bought a cream knit by Reiss in August sales but though it is almost too big on me with layering it just works. <IMO>

+ Reply to Thread