FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Velvet Jacket - Need Tailoring?

Guys, i have this exact velvet jacket from Thomas Pink for a while now and i love it, however, it's a touch too long on the sleeves.

http://www.essentialstyleformen.com/style/fashion-essentials-the-smokingvelvet-jacket/

I
    took it to my usual seamstress who upon seeing that it had fully functional cuffs said she could not shorten the length as she'd have to either (a) remove material from the cuff which would then make the cuff appear wrong as there would be hardly any material before the buttons or (b) remove the material from the seam area where the arm joins the shoulder. This second version seemed the most sensible to me however she told me she didn't want to do it because it would "ruin" the shape of the jacket or something to that effect and wouldn't be able to join the shoulder seam properly.

Does anyone know anything about this or can they advise a solution?

The jacket looks great on but I myself know that the sleeve is about 1 inch too long for my liking, i'd love to be to have my white shirts cuff on show but the jacket simply covers it up and ends where my thumb starts. (Does that describe clear enough where it rests?)
    Last edited by spage; 22-05-2012 at 10:19 PM. Reason: update info

Jay

Style Icon
    Sadly, I think the seamstress is right. Taking up a sleeve from the bottom with a working cuff is nigh on impossible and taking from the top of the sleeve will affect how the sleeve hangs from the shoulder and would likely ruin the shape.

You could always try another tailor for a second opinion, but unless it feels unwearable as is, you might just have to live with it.

Trend Setter
    Yeah I think they're right too. Unless you can get a little length off the bottom, you're in trouble.

Could tapering the sleeve slightly force it to sit a little shorter? If you own this jacket and it will simply go to waste, can you wear the sleeves unbuttoned and turned up a little?

Not ideal I know.

www.twitter.com/electroRoss

Thanks a lot for the responses. I suppose I could always just simply deal with it and just wear it in a casual manner, nice shoes nice slim jeans and a white shirt, not many people would notice / care, I guess it's just that it's me and I "know" what's going on with my jacket. As for turning the cuffs up I'v etried it already and it just doesn't look rigt with this jacket. Cheers though guys.

Take it to a good tailor and they should be able to shorten it at the shoulder without ruining the shape/sleeve

+ Reply to Thread