FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last

Teenager Needing Fashion Tips

Hey guys this is my first post on the forums

I'm 16 going on 17 and living in New Zealand and i'm needing some style tips. I really love the British look of blazers, chinos and button ups but i've noticed not alot of men in NZ wear that type of style. I would like to get into a more sophisticated style of wearing blazers and brogues but I have no idea where to start.

I own a couple of chinos, a few button ups, three pairs of boots but I'm not sure if wearing a blazer or formal shoes would suit me or be socially acceptable because of my age.

I just wanted to know your guys thoughts, tips and where you think I should begin.
    If you recommend anything that I should purchase could you link them on this and also i'm only 16 so I can't afford alot but i'm a good saver.
    Last edited by MajorZed; 16-12-2011 at 01:23 PM.

FashionBeans Staff
    Take a peek at this - Dressing For Your Age – The Twenties (20s) | Fashionbeans.com obviously you aren't quite into your twenties yet, but the concept still remains the same, you can wear the same things. In fact, you could see it as an investment in the future, getting it right now will help you no end in the future.
    Last edited by William Colman; 16-12-2011 at 02:21 PM.

Hey thanks alot for that. Basically I want to set up a wardrobe that I could be wearing when i'm 21 so I can progress and keep my style the same throughout my young adult life.

Do you think I should buy quality, branded items over alot of cheap clothing for this concept I have ?

FashionBeans Staff
    Good plan, your budget depends entirely on your situation, if you have the money to throw at investing then do so (although at 16 you probably aren't, I didn't certainly.) your best bet is to invest in key items, there is little point just going straight buying masses of cheap clothes because they won't last and just won't look as good.

Spend money on things like shoes, jeans, knitwear and possibly tailoring (blazers etc) and then search the cheaper stores for basics - T shirts, chinos, shirts, layering items essentially.

Sam

Style Icon
    Hi mate,

I'm around the same age as you, at 17. The first thing I'd suggest is that, as fantastic as it is to invest in quality pieces, you're still growing and they may not last as long as they could. Be wary - but don't be afraid to splash out on something that's really good.

Dressing smart is cool, no doubt. But you're right - teenagers are mostly dickish to each other - so go steady on. A blazer and a plain/striped tee can be a great way into the look, so that might be one to try out. You don't have to get rid of your jeans, either - if you have good, slim fitting pairs (skinny or straight are fine too, whichever looks good on you) they'll go with your shirts and jackets, and they can really dress down a pair of brown brogues in a way that chinos can't. You don't ever want to be dressed that much more smartly than the people around you - aim to one up them just slightly! Roll (fold) up your shirt sleeves, leave a button or two undone up top, that sort of thing.

I remember the first time I tried something like this - I wore a navy blazer, purple tee, black jeans and chelsea boots to a party (sadly that party was the blazer's death sentence!) and got a great reaction. It wasn't a fantastic look, but it worked. So go for it. And none of it will work if you don't look comfortable in what your wearing, so if you think your friends are going to take the piss, then they're bound to take the piss.

Style Icon
    Hiya man

I'm 18 and I basically live in the blazer/chinos/brogues look. I know not many people our age go for it, but most people our age can't dress. I love dressing smart, I feel tonnes more confident and I feel people (especially women!!!) take you alot more seriously than some guy in a print tee and drop crotch jeans. I love going to a club and standing out.

Trend Setter
    I think Sam's advice is great. I'm 18 and I've been through a similar process that the one you're facing. The difference is that many things that you consider casual, as boots and chinos are not that extended where I live, so you even stand out a little bit by wearing that. I'm the kind of guy who doesn't mind to dress differently though, so that was never a big problem. But be careful if you think your environment (close fiends, family, classmates) would be openly hostile to your new style. I'm not telling you to shy away from the guy you'd want to be, but no everybody is prepared (or wants) to have this kind of 'confrontation'.

As to more practical advice, you can test the waters with more casual pieces or combinations before turning into the controversial ones. For example, you could ditch hoodies and sweatshirts when hanging out with friends and change them for casual shirts or knitwear, that way your friends will be less surprised when you show up in a blazer or formal jacket. Also, don't be afraid to mix things and play with your wardrobe, keeping a youthful appearence.

But at 16 you will be surely be growing out of your clothes soon, so I would avise you not to take this too seriously and wait for a couple of years to really start your own wardrobe. You'll be more confortable in your own skin and your choices will be more age-appropriate.

Here are some inspirational pics of a casual yet more grown up style:

I apologize for any mistakes, I wrote this quickly and english is not my native tongue..

Hey thanks guy this is some great advice and I will be taking it all in.

Because it's summer over here what are some good looks that incorporate the "smart" look ?
    I know that boat shoes are a big thing and it's becoming more popular of late, but what are some ways to smarten or just look better in summer ?

Sam

Style Icon
    Penny or tassel loafers are a great smart-casual summer shoe - wear them with no socks (which in reality means wear them with invisible socks). A couple of pin rolls in your jeans and voilĂ*.

Thanks for that, I'm liking the look of Penny Loafers so i'll save up for a pair.
    What type of shorts could I pair them with ?
    I'm guessing chino shorts ?

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last