FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Grey Hair

Hey all,

I'm only 23 and I have several grey hair on the sides of my head and few on the top. I know some grey hair is natural but I have too much and I started to worry.
    Can you give me useful advises to stop this process and turn my grey hair into brown again?

Thank you in advance!

Kevin

tajdon
    Getting grey hair is partly genetics and it is partly due to stress. I can't say that you can turn this process around but you can help reduce it by grooming your hair properly, avoiding taking a bath in hot water, use mild shampoos, reduce overall stress, and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables.

Last edited by tajdon; 27-06-2012 at 02:42 AM.

Thanks mate!

Jay

Style Icon
    I'm sorry, but contrary to the above posts, there is NO scientific evidence to suggest there is anything at all you can do to reverse or reduce the greying process. Your shampoo, the temperature of your baths, your grooming regime, your diet or stress levels will make no difference.

Grey hair is caused by the body producing hydrogen peroxide which interferes with melanin (the pigment that gives your hair its colour). Hydrogen peroxide is broken down by an enzyme called catalese before it interferes with the melanin. As people age, the produce less catalese and the end result is greying of the hair. I can only assume your body produces more hydrogen peroxide or less catalese than normal. There's no known way of changing this.

There is some (although not conclusive) evidence that smoking may cause greying, so if you are a smoker then it's just one more reason to quit.

I'm sorry that this isn't what you want to hear, but there's simply nothing you can do other than to colour it if it bothers you that much.

Sam

Style Icon
    To tell you the truth mate I'm a little envious and I sincerely hope I go grey any time after thirty. A full head of grey hair is pretty cool - look at George Lamb, there goes one suave mofo.

Trend Setter
    Dye it or embrace it - them's your options
    www.twitter.com/electroRoss

Trend Setter
    I started to see a few flecks of grey recently and got excited about the prospect of going grey, because I believe it would suit my fairer skin tone. I've been told I look like Paul Newman and find this a very exciting chapter of my life. I also feel jealous of a dude who works in a local fashion boutique, he is in his early 30's and is completely grey with the coolest haircut. Embrace it dude!
    You Must Create

+ Reply to Thread