FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

How Do I Find A Hairstyle That Suits Me?

Hi all,

I am having a dispute with my hair! It's thick, grows at a rate of knots and is very hard to style!

I like old fashioned classic styles, but they don't suit me sadly so I end up just having a messy, unkempt side swept fringe, with a kink in it where my hair doesn't grow.

So what can I do? Can you suggest some hairstyles which will work for me? I have ginger hair also, so if someone can provide examples of ginger hairstyles.

Also, if there are any hair products that could make styling easier for me, any suggestions would be embraced with open arms.

Thanks!!

Style Icon
    Tbh mate, I find hairstyles that suit me through trial and error! Long, short, straight, curly, undercuts, fringe, quiff, slickback, I've done them all. Most of them I look back on in horror but the short, textured, messy quiff is the most happy I've been with my hair so far.

As for you, what about looking at Eddie Redmayne's styles? He is one dapper ginger.

Here's a sort of longer foppish messy look, thrown back off the face: Google Image Result for http://freeimagesarchive.com/data/media/248/eddie%2Bredmayne%2Bborn%2B1982.jpg

A more tamed version: Google Image Result for http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l2zwrwqCJE1qc2gv9o1_400.png

I think the key to your problem is embracing your hairs thickness and mess. Don't try and flatten it, tame it and suppress it, that's the WORST route to go down.

Throw a bit of mousse into your hair while semi dry. Mess it up then use a brush and your fingers to blow dry it into the shape you want, being careful to keep some natural movement in there.

Then use a dry matte product to finish it off. The cut is the MOST important thing. Eddie has it shorter on the sides and the back (still only scissor cut though) and longer on top, with plenty of texture.

Good luck!
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

FashionBeans Staff
    Your hair is very similar to mine, very thick, grows quickly, does whatever the fuck it wants. I have however managed to tame it.

I'm currently sporting a style which is pretty much exactly the same as this:

Mens-Straight-Slicked-Side-Part.jpg

I have the same short sides and it's pretty much the same length, I just comb the top more towards the back rather than over to the side.

With such thick hair if you want a classic style you are going to have to put in a lot of work. From my experience I've been trying to get this look for about 9 months and it has only been in the last 2/3 that I have been truly happy with it. Because everyone's hair grows in different directions you need will need to start getting it cut in the way you want it and then keep combing/shaping/pushing it in the direction you want it to grow, it has to grow into the style and direction.

You will also have to experiment with different variations of cut (on the same theme of course) to find the best one for you, I've been through a couple of versions that I thought were ok but it wasn't until I took a big step and actually shaved down the sides drastically that it really began to work.

I have a 3 on the sides, faded up slightly for the parting and then the top is left a good 3 inches long. This gives me the weight I need to keep the style in place and then it just requires regular combing. (I take a small one out with me in my pocket for surreptitious hair corrections) I'm currently using Brylcreem but I'm also trying out a couple of stronger pomades to see if they can help to keep it in shape for longer (brylcreem only has a light hold) and it all gives me a the kind of shine I'm looking for.

Essentially what I'm saying is that you can have the classic styles you like but they take quite a while to get right, it won't happen after the first cut or even the second, third or fourth. You have to experiment, tame and control your hair before it will look good, I look at photos from a few months ago and wonder what the bloody hell I was doing but it is definitely worth it. You just have to commit to it.

Having hair shaved on the sides and back makes pretty much anything on top look good. It just makes it look like you have made an effort and instantly smartens you up and adds a bit of edge.

Style Icon
    Will, when using brylcream, do you find that you're has to remain untouched throughout the day? Does it feel nice to run your hand through?

FashionBeans Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ben_ View Post
    Will, when using brylcream, do you find that you're has to remain untouched throughout the day? Does it feel nice to run your hand through?
    it feels really odd to the touch, you can tell there is something in there but it doesn't feel sticky or clammy like wax etc. It has such a light hold that it doesn't really ever feel like there is anything in your hair. The shine tends to develop as the day goes on as your hair dries out and I am forever combing it which helps to develop the shine as well, I find I have to tend to it throughout the day otherwise it starts falling apart.

Style Icon
    Having fairly curly hair, I'm wondering whether I'd benefit more a product like brylcream or the Crew-pomade, or perhaps a leave-in conditioner. I've recently stopped putting anything in my hair, and I enjoy being able to run my hands through it without resistance or a slight stickiness.

FashionBeans Staff
    Pomade/brylcreem will give you a really light hold certainly. Brylcreem in particular is definitely worth trying, it only costs 3.50 for a 250ml tub which will last a good while. best thing to do is give it a go, it's quite hard to explain the feeling of it.

Trend Setter
    Been looking to style my hair similar to above, with a parting but the hair slicked back rather than to the side. Really not keen on the crew pomade, on the lookout for something new.

Jay

Style Icon
    I use this stuff if I want a more slicked look.

It doesn't have the horrible oily feeling of bryll cream and smells great.

+ Reply to Thread