FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Which Hair Products Do I Need To Use For Johnny Depp's Hairstyle In "The Rum Diary"?

Here are a few photos: Johnny Depp in San Juan

When I got my hair cut like this a few days ago, my stylist put volumizing moose in my damp hair, then thoroughly blew dry it, then combed it and applied a good amount of Redken Work Hard Molding Paste, and finished styling it with a little hairspray. It looked pretty good; my bangs aren't quite long enough yet.

However, I don't think that paste is the right product. It made my hair very hard and crusty, which I do not like, and do not think the photos of Depp indicate such a product. His hairstyle looks very soft, yet relatively firmly in place, able to be blown by the wind, but easily fixed back in place, and shiny. Also, I'd rather not have to use hairspray.

All of the advertising for different kinds of products have rather ambiguous descriptions, at least to me. My best guess is that I should be looking for a pomade. Is this on the right track?

And if anybody has a specific brand recommendation that would be great. I've ordered Baxter shampoo and conditioner from Grooming Lounge | Men's Skin Care, Shaving Products, Spa Services & Advice before, and have really liked it and the website.

Also, I've been told before that my hair would benefit from argan oil. Can anybody speak to what exactly this does and if it would help me achieve this hairstyle?

Thanks!

Hi ! Maybe you could try some leave-in conditionner. I don't think that kind of hair(style) need that much products.

Thanks, I hadn't considered leave-in conditioner, I'll look for some.

http://www.coastlines-tanlines.com/w.../Rum_Diary.jpg

This photo shows the same cut styled a bit nicer. I was kind of going for that, with the ability to get less formal with the bangs falling as in the first photos. Would the leave-in conditioner work for this as well? Specifically with achieving and maintaining the lift in the front?

Fashionisto
    I have similar length hair albeit going for more of a Patrick Dempsey effect. It's taken me numerous haircuts and headaches to get it where I want it but for me the key is to first of all know extremely well how my hair falls/sets. After that it's really more about the drying process than the product use to get that soft seemingly effortless look Depp uses for his longer styles. I'm not a fan of the thin haired middle parting he sometimes sports though as I prefer a bit more volume and texture.

I'm sure having a blowdryer would make things a lot easier. However, since I have sworn to not go down that road the way I work around it is by first toweling followed by letting my hair partially air dry while combed back with a wide tooth brush/comb (I usually just use my fingers to be honest), finally aided by minor amounts of pomade/wax for detailing if necessary - today I didn't need to use any as it would really be superfluous.

The picture from The Rum Diary is a whole other thing. I've never had it like that but I'm pretty sure it's a wax job using generous amounts.

They clearly used wax for the second hairstyle. A quite strong but lightweight one.

As Rusty said, knowing how you hair works is really a big thing, and the drying process represents like 80% of the job... That's the only way to really be able to manage your hair (at least for me !). If you completely let your hair air dry, it's really difficult to control your hairstyle.

Also when you use wax, be carefull not to take too much at a time, because that's not the kind of product you can really "distribute" once it's in your hair. So use a little amount, warm it between your hands and go from the front of your head to the back. And repeat it untill you feel there's enough but not too much wax, otherwise your hair will be too heavy.

+ Reply to Thread