FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Help With Quiff

Hi there!!
    I've just had a browse through these forums and there seems to be a lot of great info. At the moment I want to create a quiff similar to the one in this picture but a fraction smaller:

http://www.malestandard.com/wp-conte...ff1.png?9d7bd4

At the moment I am due for a haircut so I'll be taking that picture in to the hairdressers, but I'm just looking for some general help. My hair tends to go quite fluffy after I wash (I use a bit of conditioner) and when I do try to style it, it doesn't turn out how I'd like it to. I use a sea salt spray while it is damp and blow dry it in an upwards direction. This usually minimises a bit of the fluff but my hair goes straight up, and does not curl back nicely as it does in that picture.

Can anyone reccomened anything to me? I'm not that good with styling my hair so hopefully what I'm after isn't too advanced.

Thanks heaps!!!

Fashionisto
    Looks like the fella show has a bit of an undercut going on (though not shaven short like nowadays). Also I know it seems trivial but make sure the hairdresser knows which way your hair goes in accordance to your crown.

I've recently sported the quiff and although I don't use this method, I read how using mousse during the hairdrying stages is one of the keys. From what I've found with myself the majority of the style comes from the way you dry it. Don't be afraid to use straighteners to finish off the look.

Also L'Oreal have an excellent product called "Playball" a sort of clay-gel that gives a great strength without any indication of hair product. Finish the job with a bit of hairspray and you're laughing.

Okay, cool. I'll give mousse a bit of a try. I'm just a bit confused with using the hairdryer to achieve that look since my hair is dead straight. Do I have to put any product in my hair when it is still wet and what technique do I use to dry it? Sorry for sounding like an idiot, I'm not very good with this kind of thing haha!

Fashionisto
    It all comes with practice mate, as for the product it all depends on your hair, when you said yours went fluffy I thought mousse would be a good solution, you may or may not need to use it, a matt clay/wax would be an ideal solution to keep your hold (rub this through your hands once you've finished drying).

As for the hairdrying, make sure you know where your parting is, something that you'll realise when your haircut. With the style of quiff you're looking at, there'll be a significant difference of length in your hair. Start from here, blow dry your hair not back but diagonally across your hair, away from the parting. For the fringe, do this but try and blow dry it back as well as diagonally. After this the next major part is applying the product and pulling your hair back/across whilst retaining the volume (be careful not to use too much product - all comes with practice).

Like I said, straightening can help make the look better, it depends on your hair, I do hope you understand the techniques I've mentioned, I've never really had to explain how to do my hair to anyone, it seems to come natural to me ha... Keep practicing to get the look you want, try different products and see what works with your hair - personally I don't use mousse, nor do I use playball (at 9 a tub I'm waiting till I can afford it). At the moment I use VO5 Extreme Style mattWax, making sure I rub it into my hands to warm it up and make it easier to apply. After that I simply use Silverkin hairspray to finish it off, you can't honestly go wrong with Silverkin. Key things are to practice and make sure you don't use too much product - if you do just rewash your hair and try again.

My younger brother has the same problem, hair is too stubborn to shape it the way he wants... so he did his research to get his quiff in check!

for some reason when shaping ur hair into place use cold air from your blowdryer rather than hot air as it will help with shaping it the way you want...

I will also post you this video of an artistic director from Tony and guy demonstrating how to do a quiff! Electic Quiff and Style Geek

I Own www.mysuave.com

Trend Setter
    Basically, this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyTS4jv5YyE

J
    ust change it up a bit like it's in the picture that you provided.

Here's a quick step by step, by no means am I a pro at this but hopefully this will help.

1. Towel dry your hair, find a product and work it through the hair, i have tried loads of different products and i've found that cheap gels and texturisers work as good as anything else. I have recently been using TIGI Bed Head. This stuff and it's great base coat if you will.

2. Blow dry, not on max speed, bu hot, use a vented brush/or curled, and shape the quiff directing heat to the root of the hair first and working up, i have a side parting and a side swept quiff so i start at the front of the hair from the root, as i blow dry up the hair i pull the hair slightly to the side that gives it the kind of curl in the front.

3.When your done with that add something to hold in place. Pomade's are good, Black and White products for me are the best, then hairspray if it's a bit long.

I hope that helped in some way.

+ Reply to Thread