FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Fitness for slim guys

Hey

I am trying to start a training routine, however it seems very complicated in terms of both activities and diet.

I dont have excess weight- I am 177Cm/56Kg. It might change in a few years, but it'll be nothing more than a belly.

Do you know any good reliable guides for guys like me? Do I really need a strict diet with minimus carbs etc.? I just want to build up myself a bit, have better posture and shape.

Thanks!

56kg Your so lucky! Well it sounds like what you want to do is put on muscle? if this is the case, what i would recommend is a high protein carb diet to pack on some size. Before anything you need to understand how much protein and carb intake you need daily, don't panic its not difficult to get this information. All you need to do is type into a search engine "protein calculator" or "BMI calculator" or search for these calculators on fitness sites. This will tell you how much protein you need daily to gain these results. However, its not just any carbs and protein you can eat (basically healthier carbs like brown rice, sweet potato, wholemeal cous cous etc) basically healthier alternatives.

Once you have an understanding on how much protein you need daily, its time to put a meal plan togethor. Its not easy to have 5 meals a day trust me, so search what sort of foods you need to eat.. So it will probably be a lot of lean meats like turkey, chicken, beef (stay away from lamb its high in fat)… also you would need to include veggies as well like broccoli, carrots etc for all the right nutrition. To make things easier i would recommend purchasing a protein shakes as a substitute for some meals, make sure you have a shake after your workouts it makes it so much easier to have your 5 meals a day. My bro uses this shake (Trust me its worked great for him)

Last and but not least, its time to put together a workout, I would say a minimum of 3 times a week of weight training…. just go online and search for some training programmes that will suit you best and if you maintain a consistency of your training, you will start to see results. Have a light 10 minute jog before you start any workout to get you warmed up. This is because it helps with your blood circulations and helps with muscle growth.

It won't be easy to keep with the programme at first, but don't let this intimidate you go into it easy don't just jump into straight away, it will take time but you will start to get use to it and it will become second nature to you.

Im not sure if you wanted to be this disciplined but its really up to you, depends on what you trying to achieve.

I hope i understood you right and this is what you were looking for, if not then man am i p***ed for writing all this hahahahhahah
    Last edited by MySuave; 17-02-2013 at 05:51 PM.

I Own www.mysuave.com

Fashionisto
    Thank you! Sounds useful.
    Basically I wanna build some arms, wider torso and abs. Something light that can fit my size.
    My weight is also a matter of age (I'm 19).

The hardest part for me is avoiding carbs, so I'm glad it's not necaessary.

Quote Originally Posted by tristan View Post
    Thank you! Sounds useful.Basically I wanna build some arms, wider torso and abs. Something light that can fit my size.My weight is also a matter of age (I'm 19).The hardest part for me is avoiding carbs, so I'm glad it's not necaessary.
    Thats good your 19 its a great time to start, the younger you are the easier it is to build muscle. I know what you mean about carbs! my weakness is bread. Your lucky you dont need to strip fat and build muscle like i do, to follow this regime i have to do a high protein and LOW carb diet . Anyway if you need anymore help ask me my dude ill be more than happy to help. Dont go trigger happy on the carbs though

I Own www.mysuave.com

Trend Setter
    Kind of hijacking the OP, but I'm kind of in the same boat. Being 17 years old, 6'1 and at 70kg, I'm as skinny as I can be. (You know, no muscle at all in my arms, biceps and such) I'll give the above advice a go.

Also worth mentioning is that I have a very high metabolism rate (as is typical of us skinny tall guys), so I know that building muscle takes a lot longer for me than normal people. Is there a way this process could be sped up, or do I just have to suck it up and accept things as they are?

Quote Originally Posted by malti001 View Post
    Kind of hijacking the OP, but I'm kind of in the same boat. Being 17 years old, 6'1 and at 70kg, I'm as skinny as I can be. (You know, no muscle at all in my arms, biceps and such) I'll give the above advice a go.

Also worth mentioning is that I have a very high metabolism rate (as is typical of us skinny tall guys), so I know that building muscle takes a lot longer for me than normal people. Is there a way this process could be sped up, or do I just have to suck it up and accept things as they are?
    Hijack away my friend no worries lol… firstly i want to begin by saying, i hate you, you know why? because my metabolism is naturally slow, but with all the training I'm doing now and keeping to my regime its speeding up thank god….

As for speeding the general process up, its entirely up to you to be honest, and what i mean by that is it depends how much time you choose to invest in your training and how disciplined you choose to be with your eating, because Abs are not made in the gym, they are made in the kitchen (You need both basically lol)… The average guy works out 3 - 4 times a week to see results…i know some guys who do 5 - 6 times but i wouldn't recommend over doing it too much because the thing is, when you weight train your muscles are ripping, so they need time to rest to be able to be given the time/chance to take shape and heal. In other words don't go into overdrive with your workouts too much. I'm not sure if your familiar with Tom hardy (no guys I'm not name dropping) well he is the guy who acted in Warrior and the new Batman…. I was speaking to him (Down to earth guy) and i asked him what he did to prepare for his film Warrior because he bulked up disgustingly!!!! for the film. He said he trained everyday no rest for 3 months to prepare for that film… Crazy! so what I'm trying to say is it always comes down to YOU! what you need to remember is that to achieve things you want in life, like a good body, its a mindset!

Also i believe results would be rapid if you keep a strict regime, and what i mean by that is making sure you are eating the right amount of carbs and protein that is needed to feed your muscles!

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one ….. Bruce Lee

I Own www.mysuave.com

I'm about 176cm and 75kg, i was about 69kg 2 months ago before i started weight training. Yes it all seems very daunting at first but I would suggest you head over to Bodybuilding.com - Huge Online Supplement Store & Fitness Community! and pick a simple beginners routine. For those who want a quick summary of diet here's one below.

When it comes to diet simply put you just have to calculate your daily maintenance calories and add about 400 more, check your weight in a few weeks and adjust your food intake. If your aim is to gain mass/bulk a recommended amount is about 1.5-2kg a month for minimal fat gains.

For your calories just split it 40% carbohydrates, 40% protein (with a minimum of 1g per pound of bodyweight), and 20% fats (good fats like those from nuts, and olive oil). Good protein sources are eggs, milk, chicken, tuna, turkey, lean pork and beef. Only meals I would stress over is breakfast and post workout, the rest eat when you can. Eat good whole foods such as pasta, rice, oats etc.

When it comes to supplements keep it simple, they are after all SUPPLEMENTS to a good diet. Buy a whey protein which is fast digesting for post workout, or to get you your recommended protein intake for the day if you can't eat for some reason. A multivitamin to keep you healthy, creatine which helps with strength and size, and finally glutamine which aids in recovery. You will have to google how and when to take these but it's simply 5g of creatine and glutamine whenever you want each day. Protein is as much as you need/want.

For instance I lift 4x a week Mon,Tue,Thurs,Fri and my diet is as follows

Meal 1

4 eggs, 100g of oats, 1 banana, 300ml of milk, 15ml of olive oil

Meal 2

30g of whey protein and glutamine, 125g of pasta

Meal 3

5g of creatine 125g of pasta, 250g of chicken breast (raw weight)

Meal 4

Multivitamin, 250g of chicken, 250g of mushroom

Meal 5

Apple/banana, 250g of milk

This altogether is about 3000+ calories and I've been gaining about 2.5-3kg a month which is ok for me.

If I get hungry I snack on fruit and oatmeal cookies. Also no fastfood/soda/coffee. I'm still a beginner to weight training so take my advice with a pinch of salt but hopefully it will be of help to someone.

+ Reply to Thread