FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Fashionisto

The Side-Part Slick

In two weeks I will be leaving behind the classic quiff for the classic side-part slick. I want to be well-prepared with appropriate product before I get the cut. Have any of you done this before? Do you have some suggestions on what product is best to achieve the look and hold? Can you share any styling techniques that I need to be aware of before trying such a style? Any help would be appreciated.

Two pictures of what I'm trying to achieve:

I have just started messing with this too, but mine has a bit more height on top so it kind of incorporates a quiff / pompadour thing too. Just cos that's where my hair naturally wants to go so best not to fight it.

Best product I've found is old school pomade, I have one called Black and White. It's well worth a go as it's cheap and you can get it in Boots. I've tried a few different products and there have been some quite expensive mistakes.

Key is to use a hairdryer to get everything in place, style it, and then finish with the hairdryer again. If I can be arsed I use my GF's straighteners on the front too as my hair is a bit wavy for this style.

There are lots of useful vids on youtube, so that's a good place to look. Really helped me perfect the style. I never really realised how essential the hairdryer is in these styles, and how using it to position the hair even after it is dry is key to getting it right.

Fashionisto
    Pin (or anyone else for that matter),

Could you point me to a video or two that has been helpful? I have spent the last thirty minutes searching and haven't found anything too appealing. I appreciate any help that you men can provide.

I think this one was one I watched

Men's Hair Tutorial: Side Part - YouTube

If you just search "slick side parting" on youtube there are tons of videos. They are often a bit cringey but they know what they are on about.

Fashionisto
    Thanks Pin.

I'm getting the cut next week and will post some pics, results, and tips for anyone else that wants a similar style.

Trend Setter
    Pomade, a comb and a hairdryer are pretty key to this look, though obviously so is the haircut. If you take either of those pictures in they should be able to cut your hair so that it will work well with this style. I found another video that might help you along with Pins one:

Fashionisto
    Got the cut yesterday. Still working on the fix, obviously. If anyone has some suggestions and/or comments and/or hate speech, feel free to send it my way.

P.S. The moustache is not permanent. My wife loves it for some reason. So, when I shaved my beard, I left the stache.

Ahahaha bro the tache is awesome! I genuinely thought that was a vintage photo when I scrolled down.

Trend Setter
    That tache is epic! You should just photograph yourself in black and white now!

Fashionisto
    I've just started to use black and white pomade for my side part and I'm having some trouble with the hold. The front if my hair keeps falling down out of style.

I don't know if I'm not using enough or if my hair is just to thick and heavy. It is in need of a cut so that may help.

Has anyone experienced this and how did you fix it?

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread