FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

shelf life of edt / aftershave

can anybody throw some light onto the shelf life of edt's and aftershaves?

you can pick up some real bargains from eBay - but, but if the scent is old will it be tired? non-existent? stale?

Style Icon
    In my experience, most quality EDT's start showing aging after a year - by which time a small bottle is usually pretty much empty - by being less intense.

I had a Lagerfeldt that started to smell a bit too much of alcohol after about four years, and I found a Fahrenheit in a drawer that was probably at least six years old. I didn't use that though, because my wife said it made me smell like an old boozer, as the alcohol was the strongest smell left in the bottle.

That said, I have a bottle of Tommy Hilfiger EDT that I've had for three years, and it still smells like the day I bought it.

I think the average shelf life of EDT is about 3-4 years. If you can get it really cheap on eBay, it might be worth the gamble.

I have some aftershaves from the late 90s that still smell how I remember them. Of course tastes have changed since then and I'm unlikely to wear them now.

You'll probably find the better ones hold their frangrance longer and the higher alcohol content (so aftershaves oppose to eau du toilettes) will last longer.

Shelf life can also depend on storage method, i keep mine in a draw away from sunlight.

+ Reply to Thread