FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Beginner workout programme

I'm just turned 20 and this summer I've decided I want to get fit. I'm 6ft 4 and 3 weeks ago I was 205lbs. So far I have lost 20lbs by cutting down on carbohydrates, increasing protein and stopping eating junk food as well as exercising.

I joined a gym recently and this is pretty much the first time I've exercised in 3 years and I don't really know what to do in the gym besides cardio. I am still fairly unfit and I'm looking for a beginner's workout routine with some weights included. I've tried looking for some on Google but I feel like they're for people with higher levels of fitness. Eventually I would like to have a toned body with nice arms, chest, abs and legs I know I have a long way to go but I need some help to know where to start.
    I think going to the gym 3/4 times a week for an hour and a half would be realistic for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fashionisto
    An hour and a half is probably quite a lot to begin with.

What are you doing in terms of cardio at the moment?

Trend Setter
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/power-8-workout-3-day-split

I
    'm currently following this program, but everybody's goals are different. (Some may want to loose weight, but my main goal is to gain muscle)

Also, if you know what you're doing, more than an hour in the gym is wasted time.

Quote Originally Posted by malti001 View Post
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/power-8-workout-3-day-split

I
    'm currently following this program, but everybody's goals are different. (Some may want to loose weight, but my main goal is to gain muscle)

Also, if you know what you're doing, more than an hour in the gym is wasted time.
    Like I said I don't know what I'm doing and that's why I'm asking for advice.

Adam in terms of cardio I do twenty minutes on the crosstrainer then twenty on the treadmill

Fashionisto
    If you are looking to lose weight, I'd suggest doing some HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training).

Can be done in 15-20 minutes easily and will burn far more calories than any steady jog.

Trend Setter
    In danger of giving you some information overloading, but the thing is with the right diet and you lift as heavy as you can (correctly) you can still lose weight. So do you want to have anaerobic fitness or do you want just want to lose weight?

Also to echo Adam's comments on HIIT read this from FB:
    The Benefits Of HIIT: High Intensity Interval Training | FashionBeans

I'd recommend a pretty repetitive routine so that you can see your progress which should help motivate you.

The treadmill and/or rower are the most intense of the cardiovascual machines but I believe that unless you have a certain level of fitness (and strength for the rower) you won't get much out of them. If you don't feel fit enough to run (not jog) on the treadmill for twenty minutes then start yourself on the cross-trainer. Pick a twenty minute programme, I always like the hill interval programmes and see how many calories you can burn, make a note of it and try and beat it next time. Over a few weeks you'll really see an improvement. Once you feel you're not getting much out of the cross-trainer I'd recommend moving over to the treadmill. I set myself the ridiculous target of running 5 km in 20 minutes on the treadmill. That's 20 minutes running at 15kph. I started by setting it at 11 kph and sticking to that for the full twenty minutes and then every couple of days I upped the speed by 0.5 kph.

Weight-lifting wise it's a long slow progress. Just remember to try and work all the major muscle groups. You don't need to do everything every gym session, but if you're going multiple times a week, try and cover everything once a week. There's lots of good advice about varying weight exercises to "surprise" your muscles for better growth but still try to keep track of what you're lifting and the number of reps. I'm pretty competitive and so thrive when I have a target to beat.

This is simple thing that always helped and proven with some of my friends and even to myself. Drink enough water everyday. At least 2 liters of water starting in the morning when you wake up until night. As you have a bigger body built and doing your gym exercise then better more than 2 liters. Avoid sodas and other high calorie drinks. Better fill your thirst with water only.

Why water?

1. Water have now calorie and won't add to your calorie intake
    2. Water most of the time can fill your hunger if you are not really hungry
    3. Enough water intake makes your metabolism faster and won't hold much water in your body that increase your weight and size of tummy
    3. Water cleanses your intestines for better food digestions

+ Reply to Thread