FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Beards

Beards seem to be doing the rounds at the moment - it seems like the homeless-vibe stigma is being shaken off.

I have decided to grow a massive one. About 3 weeks in at the moment. It's pretty itchy but is starting to look very solid.

Anyone else on the beard vibe? Got any tips for a budding bearder?

Here are some sick beards from today's FB article:

They look majestic

Trend Setter
    Well I like the look; beards look more masculine than being clean shaved imo, even if it's just some stubble. (provided that your face can grow a consistent beard/stubble though, otherwise it looks horrible having little patches of hair all over your face.)

In my experience it seems to divide opinions among the ladies-some go nuts over a full beard/stubble, while others just dismiss it as just being scruffy/lazy. I'm not sure on what's their general opinion though!

Trend Setter
    i like it very much. also working on mine for the last two weeks, now.
    Last edited by mascherani; 04-12-2013 at 08:11 PM.

Fashionisto
    I'd love to rock a beard. The problem for me is after a certain length, it starts to turn slightly ginger, (no offense intended to any resident red heads) this is not a good look for me!! I'm toying with the idea of using beard dye?? Not really sure where to start though...

I like my beard very much as well.. Yet growing a massive one gives the impression of an ''al-queda member'' to people around me. Massive beards doesn't work for middle eastern guys who live in europe.

I've been growing mine for a month now and it looks like something that is less than a week old, so I can't give you any tips. Mine isn't even itchy yet. However, from what I read, I can tell you to leave it untouched for 4-6 weeks at least and then groom it. If you still want it longer, then you trim it so that it is all the same length and then you continue growing it.

Beards are really cool in my opinion, check out Joel Alexander. And omur. Al Qaeda member please don't be daft! The population is not that narrow minded.

I'm up to to two months on mine. I'm in my 30's so can grow a full beard but it's blond and not as thick as some around the cheeks. Both reasons mean I have to grow it quite long whereas some friends of mine can keep their's trimmed at a 3 level and it looks like a full and neat beard.

If you can just leave it and let it grow do it. For work reasons I've had to regularly trim to keep it even. Last week I was trimming at an 11 to give you and idea of length. I've now hit the length where it needs a regular comb and proper shampoo.

For a long while I've only shaved when I've had to go in the office twice a month, but I had a few weeks off before Christmas and planned to be clean shaven for Christmas but as I was getting may hair cut the week before the barber had a majestic beard with the same blond colour as me and it inspired me to push on. Had a few questions about it the first time I wore it into work but it's part of the furniture now.

Edit: Looking at the photos I guess I'd say mine is the same length as the bottom left photo.

Also I would say that most negative-ish comments on my beard have come from men in their 40s or 50s who grew up with their father's having beards and themselves have been clean shaven their whole lives.
    Last edited by Carpet; 11-02-2014 at 08:54 PM.

I like it!

I am now on week 6 of growing my beard.

I am not starting to notice people looking at my beard - I can only assume this is a good thing!

I read that it is important to conditioner your beard and since doing this I have felt it not as itchy... so get conditioning.

Keep it neat though guys, trim your neck line and on you face - don’t want you all to look like hoboes!

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisyBucano View Post
    trim your neck line and on you face
    I never trim the neck line - I think it looks naff. Manicured beards always look naff.

+ Reply to Thread