FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2

Trend Setter
    Have you considered running? It costs peanuts (for a pair of decent shoes), rips through calories, and is convenient enough to fit regular sessions in.
    It's also sociable if you want it to be and you can compete as much as you like or not at all and still train socially.
    Running clubs are very welcoming to beginners.

Thanks! I've been worried about those muscles forming too.

Quote Originally Posted by markscamilleri View Post
    Hi. I've just started going to a gym and I really want to find a workout for beginners for the things above. At least some good and reliable websites would be great.

I currently can manage going to the gym for 1.5 hrs every Tuesday (though I might be able to go on a Saturday... don't know yet as it depends whether I'm going to start swimming(training) or not). IMO it's quite a good gym in terms of equipment.

I'm 16 Male

Thanks in advance
    Hey guys, just thought id give my opinion on this (also first post so hi everyone). First of all you have outlined several goals:
    1. Building strength, 2. Losing fat 3. 'Toning up'.
    I had similar goals around your age (im now 20) so I can understand how you feel, you want to gain a bit of strength and 'tone' without turning into one of those huge dudes you see at the gym 24/7. Ok so anyway ill give you a small step by step for each part:
    1. Building strength - You can do as many push ups as you like but its hardly going to improve your strength, for this you need to be doing resistance exercises, meaning you will be training against a heavier force to make your body adapt and increase its strength. You need to be doing a weight which you can do around 5 reps at (important that you can do this with good form). More than 5 and your body may increase its muscle mass more instead and less than 5 is generally not as effective. Again this is just a very, very, very short version and i'd like to save the scientific explanation for another time.
    2. Losing fat - This is simple, if your calories used is greater than your calorie intake you will lose weight.
    3. 'Toning' up - Toning is a word I dont really like because it suggests that you can pick a part of your body and reduce the fat on that area to make it 'toned'. Unfortunately our bodies dont work that way, you have to reduce your overall body fat % to become more toned. If you are skinny already but not toned then that means you will have to develop more muscle first.

I would love to go on more but this post seems too long already haha, if you have any questions ill be happy to answer!

+ Reply to Thread