FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Best hold hair product (Shaper/Moulder/Forming cream/Quicksand)?

Hi guys,

I was wondering if you could give me some advice. So I have really thick hair that is relatively difficult to style and keep volumized all day, I have been using Hairbond Shaper, which is really good, but I have noticed my hair going a bit wispy recently with some stray hairs going rogue. I really like the texture of Shaper and the hold is exactly what I need but I was wondering if anyone had tried any others that they would recommend? I have Label M Matt Paste as well but I really dislike it. I wear my hair in a quiff and use KMS Sea Salt Spray and blowdry beforehand.

Been thinking about maybe one of:

Hairbond Moulder
    American Crew Forming Cream
    Hanz De Fuko Quicksand
    Hanz De Fuko Claymation

Thanks!

Or Sponge Wax?

Nat

Style Icon
    I use the toffee hair shaper too, and it is by far the best product I have used. My hair is also thick, and I wear a quiff.

I have used both the Moulder and AC Forming Cream previously, but neither have as good hold as the Shaper.

In terms of volume, do you mean all over, or just getting some lift in the quiff? Sounds like it may be something you could solve by improving your blow dryer technique.

In terms of the rogue hairs, maybe try finishing with some hair spray?

Try something like Fakai. Its a lotion type thing, i dont remember what its called or if they still make it.
    Something that works is using a hair dryer to dry your hair. It will work prefectly.

Quicksand is good for volume. doesnt offer much shine or hold. The claymation is good for a bit more hold than the quicksand. I use both products from Hans de Fuko. Also really like thier Modify Pomade.

I have hair similar to yours. I do not wear a quiff however I do style it in a fashion that looks good with volume and massive hold. In my experience here are the products that work:

From the Hanz De Fuko line I would recommend claymation. It seems to be the only product that does a half decent job. (Tried SW, MP, QS, HW)
    Sebastian Craft Clay also does a decent job but the volume isn't as good and the texture is a bit spikey/choppy.
    Haven't used it but from Hairbond the toffee would be the only product that would work or should work.

Finally if you haven't give Aveda grooming clay a shot. It does best among all of these but the smell is too strong and isn't the best scent to have.

Hope this helps and do let us know if you decide to try any of these products. Cheers!

Trend Setter
    Mix Kevin Murphy's gritty business and Hanz de fuko Quiksand.

Quiksand gives the volume, gritty business gives the hold without setting it in place.

Fashionisto
    Gatsby Spiky Edge Hair Wax | Gatsby Moving Rubber

Strongest holding stuff I've ever used. Cheapest place is Amazon, 20 for 3

Would anybody have suggestions for a matte finish product with a ton of hold? Many of these seem like they would work only with blow dried hair or need to be blow dried themselves to work well which isn't an option at times.

+ Reply to Thread