FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Style Icon

Least fragrant hair matte paste or clay?

Hi all

Does anyone know of a fragrance free or mild smelling matte paste or clay? I currently use Kevin Murray Nightrider but it's orangey smell is totally overpowering and kills off my delicate eau de parfums, others I have tried all seem to relish in stinking of apples or toffee. The most acceptable I found was Toni & Guy x-clay which was a fantastic clay on a stick and it smelt mildly of chocolate, but it's now discontinued!

I'm after the dry / natural look.

Thanks for any tips!

Style Icon
    I think my search could be over - from the most unlikely source. I took a punt on a Topman clay product from Boots for a fiver. It has a subtle smell of a church candle (ok I know it's a hair product but it's not a wax, or that waxy in content), but most of all the finish is probably the best I've experienced. Just a hint of sheen and no clumping, no string smell, no white bits, even distribution. Very natural looking and a relatively good hold. The smell is supposed to be vetiver and sandlewood which is a bit of a stretch, but it is mild and musty which is good for not competing with your fragrances.

Trend Setter
    It's an expensive option but if you don't find that the Topman stuff gives you enough hold you should try By Vilain Gold Digger. It's from Slikhaar in Denmark, made by the guys who also do the Hanz de Fuko stuff. It's almost completely fragrance free and has a strong matte finish. It's described as extreme hold, I wouldn't quite go that far but it's certainly good.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by merc05 View Post
    It's an expensive option but if you don't find that the Topman stuff gives you enough hold you should try By Vilain Gold Digger. It's from Slikhaar in Denmark, made by the guys who also do the Hanz de Fuko stuff. It's almost completely fragrance free and has a strong matte finish. It's described as extreme hold, I wouldn't quite go that far but it's certainly good.
    Thanks very much Merc, yes looks pricey but I suppose you get what you pay for, and with any decent clay a little should go a long way! I might take a punt on this when my current product runs out.

Thanks again.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    Thanks very much Merc, yes looks pricey but I suppose you get what you pay for, and with any decent clay a little should go a long way! I might take a punt on this when my current product runs out.

Thanks again.
    No problem. It's a bit like a combination of Hairbond Moulder and Shaper. It's got the hold of Shaper but the texture of Moulder, but doesn't have much fragrance unlike the Hairbond stuff! If you decide it's too pricey, a cheaper alternative would be the Sebastian Professional Craft Clay. It's another one with a mild fragrance, just not quite as good hold as the Gold Digger.

+ Reply to Thread