FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1

    Fashionisto
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chester, England
    Posts
    42
    Offline

    Not sure what hairstyle to get?

    Hey everyone, I'm currently growing my hair out again after a change of mind about the hairstyle I was going for and I decided I should stop letting my ego get in the way and ask for some help online.

    I'm 18 years old right now and I'm thinking about going for a fringe again like I did back in my high school days but with a bit more style to it and not stupidly unkempt like I used to have it.

    I originally wanted a quiff so I started going for a short back and sides but I realised that I have quite a high hairline and my ears are quite big as well which is originally why I grown my hair out originally back when I was in year 8 in high school.

    http://i.imgur.com/Bv8bKDS.jpg -Picture of me when I was 17 although I look a bit different now. (sorry I'm not looking that well put together and quite tired. I'm in my pyjamas and my hair isn't exactly anything to brag about. I would take some more pictures but it's quite late and I'm on a different computer right now so I apologise.

    Anyway, I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for me in the fringe(or bangs if you're American) department although any hairstyle recommendation would be great for me and I'd really appreciate it as I'm currently trying to find a style to suit me.

    I always thought my hair was the weakest thing about me but years of neglect to it did that to me.

    Cheers
    -Jon
    Last edited by overtoad; 11-01-2014 at 03:01 AM.

  2. #2

    Fashionisto
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    49
    Offline
    Hey mate, i've been through loads of hairstyles so I know what a pain it is when deciding what to get.

    Personally what i'd say is get yourself down to a decent hairdressers and just chat to them about what you'd like. A lot of the time you'll find after going through some styles with the hairdresser they'll give you options which you might not have thought about before.

    I used to wear my fringe down but after getting fed up I told my hairdresser to just give me a complete new look and i've now had a quiff for over 2 years with very short (grade 1) sides.

    I totally agree with you that a quiff may not be the best option and due to your hairline it may be best to avoid hair styles that show a lot of your forehead.
    For short hair, maybe go for a caesar cut? George Clooney has rocked that for quite some time.
    Layers and a bit of product should give a big difference to what it looks like at the moment mate.

  3. #3

    Style Icon
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    612
    Offline
    Agreed with the above, and also a vital element to your finished look is the product you use. I can use 5 different products and style it the same way but it will look different every time (sometimes badly different)! Do you want a matte finish, silky look, wet look, volume etc? Your hair stylist can also advise on this, but it's quite an important element.

    I'm currently using Topman clay for when it's shorter, and for the last two weeks of the monthly cycle before it's due a chop and it's a bit longer, Toni and guy x-clay

  4. #4

    Fashionisto
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chester, England
    Posts
    42
    Offline
    I'm definitely thinking about getting a more expensive haircut rather than the cheap 6 or whatever alternatives. There is a salon that is charging 23-30 for a haircut (23 from a stylist and 30 from a salon directer although I'm not entirely sure how big the difference is between these two).
    According to the website you can come in and discuss what hair you want 2-3 prior to it.

    I'm thinking more along the lines of a fringe because I remember about 4-5 years ago I got a layered fringe and I was constantly receiving compliments from it in school, even from the really popular girls and stuff, so I felt really confident about it at the time.

    As for finish, I'm most likely going to want matte. I have experimented with different waxes stuff already. Hairbond Moulder is good but sometimes it hurts to put it into my hair and I think it makes my hair look really dry sometimes, so I may look for something else in the future.

  5. #5

    Fashionisto
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    49
    Offline
    I use hairbond moulder for my quiff too. The key is to really warm up it in your hands before you put it in, otherwise it will hurt as it pulls your hairs/
    It's a fantastic product for a matte finish and good hold imo.

  6. #6

    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    18
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by waqar46 View Post
    I use hairbond moulder for my quiff too. The key is to really warm up it in your hands before you put it in, otherwise it will hurt as it pulls your hairs/
    It's a fantastic product for a matte finish and good hold imo.
    Forgive me not trying to hijack this thread or anything but waqar how do you style your quiff? I have the hairbond moulder and American Crew fiber too but I've never been able keep my quiff up itll be fine then boom soon as I step outside it's all over the place. Quite annoying.. I've been trying to achieve a bit of a David Beckham quiff where it goes up and hangs over the sides but I can never get it to hold no matter what product I use, I had it cut in that style and everything but my hairdresser says it needs to to grow a bit. :/

  7. #7

    Fashionisto
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    49
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by drizzyxs View Post
    Forgive me not trying to hijack this thread or anything but waqar how do you style your quiff? I have the hairbond moulder and American Crew fiber too but I've never been able keep my quiff up itll be fine then boom soon as I step outside it's all over the place. Quite annoying.. I've been trying to achieve a bit of a David Beckham quiff where it goes up and hangs over the sides but I can never get it to hold no matter what product I use, I had it cut in that style and everything but my hairdresser says it needs to to grow a bit. :/
    I have fairly thick hair so I guess it lends itself well to a quiff. I towel dry my hair so it's still a bit damp and then add the moulder and work it into all my hair, really getting to the roots and right to the back of my head too. After that it's just a case of grabbing a hairdryer and blowdrying your hair into the style you're wanting. If you want more volume try drying your hair upside down (put your head down and dry upwards).
    You can then add some more product to get a textured and more defined finish. I find that this is pretty much all I need for my hair to stay up during the day whilst still allowing for modification throughout the day also.

    What does it look like after your hairdresser styles it? Does it hold through the day?

  8. #8

    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    18
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by waqar46 View Post
    I have fairly thick hair so I guess it lends itself well to a quiff. I towel dry my hair so it's still a bit damp and then add the moulder and work it into all my hair, really getting to the roots and right to the back of my head too. After that it's just a case of grabbing a hairdryer and blowdrying your hair into the style you're wanting. If you want more volume try drying your hair upside down (put your head down and dry upwards).
    You can then add some more product to get a textured and more defined finish. I find that this is pretty much all I need for my hair to stay up during the day whilst still allowing for modification throughout the day also.


    What does it look like after your hairdresser styles it? Does it hold through the day?
    Ahh I see.. When you say you apply moulder to damp hair what would you consider damp? I find that if put moulder or hair stuff in my hair after towel drying my hair after just getting out the shower that it does nothing and doesn't hold it all cause it's still kind of wet. I think the problem might be if I don't get it absolutely perfect I end up touching it and trying to get it into position after I've done it and I guess that weakens the hold or something? I have no idea it just doesn't want to stay, when my hair dresser styles it they manage to do it exactly right and get it to hold throughout the day.. Problem is when I do it when I got home it does not stay up at all and does nothing again. I always thought it stayed up and looked right because they just that second cut it into that shape.. I've been through so many products can never ever get it to hold.

  9. #9

    Fashionisto
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    49
    Offline
    Hard to describe in words. Just towel dry until all the water droplets have gone, so you're hair isn't dripping but it's not 'dry' yet. Once you put the moulder in, the rest of the 'wetness' in your hair will pretty much go.

    Sounds like you might need to start adding a little bit more product. Experiment with different amounts and you might find a sweet spot that really works for you.

    Also, when you're drying your hair, make sure you're drying it into the style you want. So for your quiff, dry from the roots upwards. Some people like to use a brush whilst drying, I personally just use my hands and push my quiff to right as i'm drying it.

  10. #10

    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    18
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by waqar46 View Post
    Hard to describe in words. Just towel dry until all the water droplets have gone, so you're hair isn't dripping but it's not 'dry' yet. Once you put the moulder in, the rest of the 'wetness' in your hair will pretty much go.

    Sounds like you might need to start adding a little bit more product. Experiment with different amounts and you might find a sweet spot that really works for you.

    Also, when you're drying your hair, make sure you're drying it into the style you want. So for your quiff, dry from the roots upwards. Some people like to use a brush whilst drying, I personally just use my hands and push my quiff to right as i'm drying it.
    Okay first off thanks for your help and actually replying I've just done what my hairdresser suggested and tried doing the style in my spare time. I've managed to it to go up and it's in the style quite well only problem is I can almost guarantee its going to fall down quite soon for no reason at all, so yeah the thing is it will go up it just won't stay in the position want and it moves around loads and ends up looking weird.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts