FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Mixed Race Hair - Question

Hey :3

My hair is a bit unruly at the moment, to be perfectly honest; I tend not to do anything with it, ergo, it tends to be rather knotty and curly etc, and for the purpose of this thread my hair is afro in texture, as I'm mixed race ~

I've always like the Pompadour style but it's just been a matter of actually having the confidence to wear it and I dunno, and I feel as if my hair's receeding ever so slightly but I'm not entirely sure.

Can anyone please post any suggestions?

All comments are most welcome ~

I'm black, my brother is mixed race and I also have a close friend who is mixed race. We've all had a few different styles over the years. You have a lot of options, depending on what your hair is like naturally. I'll start with the common ones and then move onto slightly more daring ones!

1. Afro. Just let it grow for around 2 years. This is quite an eye-catching style and you would definitely stand out. May or may not work for you depending on your personality.

2. Buzz Cut. Standard, we've seen this everywhere.

3. Short afro. This is also quite popular at the moment. I'm currently on my way to getting something like this.

4. Pomp/undercut. Very similar in the basics of what you have to do, my friend had his like this for a while. Relax the hair first then get the sides trimmed down. One side effect of relaxing the hair regularly (every 6-8 weeks) is that it can change colour to a brown/reddish colour. To avoid this, get a relaxer that has a built in black dye to it. I actually relaxed my hair and had an undercut for the last couple of months of 2013 just to try it. It attracted quite a lot of funny looks, but some people loved it. I think because my friend is mixed many didn't even realise that it wasn't natural for him so he got away with it no problem!

There is of course cornrows/dreads/plaits. However if you feel your hair is receding then I won't even recommend those for obvious reasons lol.

Hey Bart, I agree with Thermalcos. Since you're mixed race I think you must have kinda wavyish/afro hair texture so it would definitely suit no 2 buzz cut (I always get those). You could be adventurous and try the Pompadour style like the Miguel picture above, the downside with that is that you will have to put a relaxer in your hair in order to naturally straighten your hair. Unless done properly it could break your hair...it also might not suit you. It depends how it comes out- a Miguel sort of look or a Brian Belo one.

No 3 is a good look also but you have to maintain it so that it doesn't look...a bit rough (you know what I mean!) Maybe consider trimming the sides of your hair and using S-Curls Texturizer. But have it shaped up- I did this years ago and I love it.

Good luck man!

+ Reply to Thread