FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Kevin Murphy or Aveda

Hello guys, hope everyone is doing well. I wanted to enquire if anyone has experience using both Kevin Murphy Rider series and Aveda Grooming Clay, to provide a comparison. I have spent too much money (quite embarrassing really) trying to find one product that I can go to for my hair needs. I have thick, straight medium length hair which grows strongly towards the front with a low crown in the back. I tend to style it sideways with a bit of fringe in the front and like volume on top (tame version of miguel veloso). As mentioned I've tried MANY products and the one that has come close to giving me the look I desire was Hanz De Fuko Claymation (tends to lose volume over time).

So looking for advice on Aveda/Kevin Murphy. Also am open to suggestions. Anyone try the Kiehl's stuff?

Thanks in advance.

Style Icon
    I've used Kevin's night rider product which has a good hold but stinks so badly of oranges, totally over powering. They have just bought out a Matt clay with a very dry finish which is more pliable throughout the day and has virtually zero odour.

Trend Setter
    I have tried Night Rider, wasn't overly impressed. Also despite being described as matte I found it greasy.I didn't find HDF claymation that great either despite the hype, I prefer quiksand. I haven't tried aveda grooming clay but I have heard good things.My go to at the moment is Blind Barber Proof 90 pomade. I think it is award winning in the US but hard to find in the UK. Despite being called a pomade it is anything but. It has a matte finish and good hold. Other honorable mentions are Tigi for men matte separation wax, matrix beach clay, redken rough clay 20 (very good product) and hair bond distorter.

Hi Veer,

I've tried the Aveda Grooming Clay - I would say it is a quality product, looks good on some other people I've seen use it, smells fantastic, but just wasn't the right product for me unfortunately. I have short, medium density hair which is starting to thin, and I found that it would overwhelm my hair a bit. It also left streaks occasionally.

Anyways, two products that I have more recently used and quite like are Bumble and Bumble's Sumotech, and Baxter of California's Hard Cream Pomade. They both created a similar effect when used on dry hair (matte, flexible hold), but the Baxter has a softer consistency and is much easier to apply, which is why I am using it as my go-to for the time being.

Finding the right product for your hair type can be a pain - hope you find what you're looking for!

+ Reply to Thread