FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Any matte product that is suitable for holding a Pompadour?

Hey guys, I know there were a few pompadour threads hanging around in grooming section, but they didn't really ask the questions I wanted to ask and neither of them were answered so I'm assuming nobody knows the answer to that particular question.

But um.. anyways, please let me explain myself. I've pretty interested in the whole undercut/pompadour hairstyle and I've been having this hairstyle since February. As the months passed by, I kept my top part of the hair longer and the sides shorter and it just became increasingly hard for me to style mine.

My usual technique of styling a pompadour is to..
    1. Apply hairpray to dry hair for volume
    2. Style with wax
    3. Apply hairspray again for stronger hold.
    And I am aware that coating your hair with two layers of hairspray only serves to make the hair heavier but it is the only way I've discovered thus far to achieve volume or the shape of a pomp for my hair. If I depended on blow drying alone, the hair would be blown in the desired direction, but it wouldn't get any volume, which is where the first step of hairspray comes in. Sadly, the longest my pomp ever held was for an hour before it fell flat again .

Recently, I was told by a lot of people that Pomades was the only true hair product to style a pompadour. I checked around the area that I live in and bought myself a JS Sloane Heavyweight Pomade and a can of Henry High Life (not sure if it's the right name) Pomade. I've used them separately and together as well and found that my scalp doesn't agree with pomade products. It gets slightly itchy for my scalp and I dislike the grease that it leaves on my hair. Ever since then, I went back to using wax or clay.

I've been doing a bit of research on my own, but found no satisfactory results, which brings me to this website to seek for advice. My main question is .. is it possible to find a hair wax/clay product that is suitable for styling pompadours and ensuring long hours of hold? (Like I'd get out of my house at 10 am and only came back at 11pm at night and the hair should still hold its shape).

Ideally, this is what I'm looking for in a hairstyling product for pompadour.
    1. Matte finish (I don't want shine or overly neat hair styling, I want something that looks natural)
    2. Non-greasy. I used pomades and I just really couldn't accept it. I'd prefer something like the consistency of a wax, where your hair isn't greasy and feels pretty normal.
    3. Strong holding power, this is my main concern along with matte finish. I really really want something really strong. Doesn't need any readjusting and the shape is there.
    4. Holds well in a humid country or an all year round hot country. (Think of Malaysia)
    5. Ideally wax or clay, and if it's not possible, we can move on to pomades but not hair gels.
    6. Would be nice if the product was somewhat hair friendly or that it doesn't damage scalp or hair, but this isn't so important.
    7. Sorry, no grease pomade. It scared me, it was really hard to wash off.
    I'm sorry if I sounded overly demanding in my criteria, because I'm not exactly well versed in hair products as well. But by all means, please recommend any product that comes to your mind that fits the criteria above. If you think my criteria is unreasonable, please explain to me why it is unreasonable as I'd like to know more myself.

One last thing to note, I might be continuously asking for suggestions or alternatives to a product that some members suggest. Reason being I live in Malaysia, and just American hair styling products itself is hard to find over here. You'd be surprised, Hanz de Fuko isn't well known here. But give me a name and I'll check around to see if the product is available in my country.

Thank you so much for reading and I only really hope some of you may have answers to my queries. If it helps, I'll post a picture of the kind of pompadour I'm looking to style. (I've been told the kind of hairstyle I want is indeed a pompadour, albeit a messier version of it. But I'm not sure myself, so I rather ask you forumers here).

Trend Setter
    Blind Barber 90 Proof Pomade. Matte, strong and made for pomps.

Trend Setter
    Alternatives would be ID Hair dusty bronze or Hanz de Fuko claymation.

Getting your pomp to stay up - I saw a youtube video a while ago with an interesting tip: try blow drying your hair the opposite way that you would style your hair, and then style with product the way you want it. Here's the link: Pompadour haircut - how to cut a pompadour haircut - how to style a pompadour - Clipper over comb - YouTube

I've tried this, and it seemed to work (although I don't have a pomp). I haven't really mastered it though, but I think it's definitely worth a try.

Hi

I've been rocking a pompadour for nearly 2 years now and I've only found 2 products that give me the perfect finish. American Crew FiberAmerican Crew Molding Paste , I use the fiber for a matte finish most days and molding paste when I want a shinier finish for certain events.

But the end product isn't all there is to it when styling a pompadour, especially not if u have as annoying hair as I have. Having a good shampoo/conditioner combination made a big difference for me especially since I have a sensitive scalp. However the most important step is the blow drying, this is where u create all the volume you want.

Forgive my rambling, I'll break down my routine.

Shower
    Pat dry hair, keep it moist.
    Blow dry, intensively.
    Form with fiber wax, I use very little, too much and it will mess everything up.
    Done, and it will hold all day.

Most people tend to use too much of every product they come across. I have really unruly hair and I used to use a ton of product cause I thought that was the only way to control it, it was only like 1 years ago I learned that "less is more" and my hair started looking amazing and alive all day with just a small amount of product, I'd also suggest u stay away from all that hairspray, hair looks tacky when it's immovable... looks like a helmet.

+ Reply to Thread