FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Fashionisto

Diet thread

So most if us here try to look after yourselves. So I was wondering what diet philosophies you follow to keep nice and slim to fit into those fashionable clothes.

I have recently had some success with a high protein/low carb approach, although it is still early days and I am not sure if this will work in the long term.

Fashionisto
    I was an ardent low carber for a while, and whilst it does work, I've since relaxed it a bit after I found myself questioning the carb content of broccoli! The main reason it works is because protein and fats keep you feeling fuller for longer than carbs and so you end up eating less. But technically speaking you can lose weight on any diet so long as you are consuming less calories than you are burning.

I try to focus on whole foods, lots of protein and vegetables, I only tend to drink on the weekend and try to limit grains in general. I think most people would be able to maintain a slim figure if they ditched processed foods (or limited them to say, just the weekend) - I don't think many people would over eat meat, vegetables, nuts etc.

Style Icon
    On a regular basis I'm not on any kind of diet. I do however avoid ready mades and semiproducts, as they generally contain more fat and sugars/glucose, and less nutritian than anything you prepare yourself. As a general rule, I avoid food with badly motivated additives. I pride myself in cooking everything from scratch - within reason, I have two small kids, so there's always the odd sausage or ready-made meatballs meal when you run out of energy and time.

I try not to over eat (which may sound like a given, but evidently, from the general weight gain in the western population, is not), and I don't go for fries with every meal I eat out.

Part from that, I try to keep drinking alcohol to the weekends, and I've cut down on beer in favour of white and sparkling wines - which is more a shift in taste, than a planned health move really. I eat a lot of fruit between meals. I rarely eat sweats, and when I do, I only buy small amounts.

I think you can sum it all up with: Cook it yourself and eat everything, albeit in moderation.

Then I exercise two to three times per week. Usually running, 5-10 km per run.

I recently wanted to shed some weight I'd put on gradually the past eight years, and went on a Weight Watcher's scheme. It worked quite well for me. In the past I've shunned Weight Watcher's, as I found their points system and recipies to be too focused on getting rid of all fat sources, or switching them for light/diet versions of fatty products. But their new system is more sensible, where fatty foods are high in points, while for example you can eat as much fruit and veg as you like.

Fashionisto
    Low carb diet works but is pain in the ass. Remember when cutting carbs you have to eat a lot of healthy fats and lots of protein. I try to eat healthy in general and not do diets.

Style Icon
    I do all the cooking for the family so I sit down once a week, do up a meal plan and order the delivery from the supermarket - I try to keep a good balance of foods in the weekly shop, with plenty of vegetables, fruit and dairy and not too many starchy carbs. Then I buy fresh meat and fish at the weekend from the local butcher & fishmongers as I hate supermarket pre-packed meats. We don't eat a lot of red meat - once a week normally.

One of the great things about shopping online for food is that all the ingredients & nutritional values are listed, so it's easy to keep tabs on what your food contains. When you're walking around a supermarket, you're less inclined to do that and you're also more inclined to impulse buy crap you don't really need.

I cook everything from scratch - I really want my kids to grow up with good food habits and to learn to cook for themselves, so I hope to pass that on to them. My daughter loves to help me bake & it's great to get her involved even though she's more of a hindrance than a help!

I don't eat a massive amount during the day - coffee & toast for breakfast, a salad & fruit for lunch -anything more than that and it'll make me sleepy in the afternoon. I eat a proper dinner when I get home.. and always followed by a cuppa and something sweet. I gotta have something sweet once a day.

I don't really drink at all these days - white wine if I'm out, or a craft beer. I wasn't always this sensible - before I had kids I spent most of the previous 20 years on the piss & consuming all sorts of stuff that ain't good for you - but even though those days are gone, I still smoke & I rarely exercise, unless you count walking to the car as exercise.

Trend Setter
    Don't eat pasta, potatoes, light bread, rice. Instead eat sweet potatoes, qiunoa and a lot of protein rich food like fish, chicken, once or twice a week red meat, broccoli and any vegetables. As breakfast oatmeal, because oatmeal gives you a full feeling for a couple of hours and it boosts up the metabolism. Drink a lot of water or green tea. And don't eat untill you're full, but till you're satisfied.

Fashionisto
    Some great advice here.

Well done friends!

I've lost a bit of weight by switching cereal in the mornings for a home-made vegetable juice. Usually it will contain something like carrot, celery, cucumber, fennel, beetroot, ginger and an apple. I actually prefer to sip that through the morning than eating some cardboard cereal.

Still no kids so weekends tend to revolve around eating / drinking, although that's something I attempt to moderate.

The Mrs has had great success with Slimming World. She's lost almost a stone in 3 weeks (and she doesn't have a lot to lose). I end up eating the dinners too and there are some really nice recipes, definitely some good ways to eat nice dinners without the crap. We had healthy fish & chips the other day!

Another one we tried last nigh involved switching rice for grated cauliflower. We are super skeptical but it was really nice. Just grate it, bit of seasoning & microwave for 5 mins. It's actually delicious!

You can browse some of the recipes on their site: Slimming World recipes - Healthy Eating - Slimming World

It's pretty good, as you can still have nice indulgent meals, with simple swaps like low-calorie cooking spray and switching cream for fat-free yoghurt to make it healthy. TBH, you barely even notice the difference.

Style Icon
    ^thanks for the link above Ivan it looks really useful.

I have never been overweight as such, but I definitely started developing a small pot belly over a period of about 3 years. I used to eat absolutely anything I wanted, whenever I wanted. No limits. I always regarded myself, even then as in good shape as I go to the gym 4 times a week but I was wrong, the weight crept up on me over time.

Overnight I changed the following, and within 2 months I went from a 32" belly to 28 1/2" :

Cut all ALL snacking, both at work and evening. Nothing at all.
    Low fat diary options for everything
    No added sugar to anything such as tea.
    Swapped lattes for tea (latte is 220 calories, tea 14 calories, I was having 3 a day)
    Lots more vegetables
    No microwaved dinners
    No crisps, cakes or sweets (maybe one a month)
    Brown rice, pasta and bread

At no point do I ever starve myself or anything, just more sensible choices. I dont even feel like I am on a diet, more a lifestyle change. This coupled with 5 gym sessions a week, and now I'm really pleased with my health and body shape. I did a three minute step test yesterday when they took my pulse, and even after the 3 mins my 1 min pulse rate was 51 beats which was excellent

Nat

Style Icon
    I go through phases, in both diet and exercise. Imo diet is even more important than exercise when it comes to being in shape. About a year ago I was weight training quite a bit, and wanted to lose some fat without losing muscle. I did carb-cycling, as recommended by our very own Ben Herbert.

FashionBeans x Maximuscle Challenge: The End Results | FashionBeans

It worked. Big time. I would post before/after pics, but no one needs to see that. So if that's what you're trying to do, I would recommend it. But it's not particularly sustainable. More of a short term, get-yourself-in-shape-for-the-beach kinda thing. Unless you are very dedicated. Like Creed evidently!

In general, I just try to avoid eating too much shit (sugar and processed foods are the killers) and cook most of my food from scratch (grow quite a lot of my own too). I love drinking, and I love eating. I'm not going to sacrifice that too much, for the sake of a six pack. Life's too short.

Ask me in 6 months though, and my answer might be different.

+ Reply to Thread