FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
    S46

Alternative to By Vilain Gold Digger

Hi guys,

I've used By Vilain Gold Digger wax for the past year or so now. I love it but it's becoming increasingly difficult (and expensive) to get ahold of in the UK and was interested in seeing if there was some other alternatives I can try. It is described as an extreme hold with a matte finish although I would say the hold is just strong and not extreme. I love the finish of the product, the smell, the texture, and the hold but I would say that a LITTLE more hold wouldn't go amiss as it does wear out by the end of the day (although I really don't use a lot of product).

I've tried the Hanz de Fuko Scheme Cream, Quicksand and the Sponge Wax but none of them compared. The Quicksand provided a very good hold but was too sandy for my liking and it also smelled awful. The Sponge Wax is very good but doesn't have as much hold as the Gold Digger wax.

I'm tempted to try the ID Hair Dusty Bronze or TIGI Bed Head Matte Separation Wax. Has anyone had any experience with these? What other recommendations are there? I have thick hair with the sides and back clippered using a grade 2 and longer length on top (3 to 4 inches).

Trend Setter
    I'm going to sound like a broken record here but have you tried Hairbond? The Shaper and Moulder are both really good. Other than that, I really like Sebastian Professional Craft Clay, and Redken Rough Paste 12 is really decent too. I've also owned the Gold Digger and while I liked it I thought it was too expensive for how much you get in the pot, and I'd agree that the hold isn't as extreme as they claim.

Of all the above products I'd either go for the Rough Paste or the Moulder. They both give really good hold, and while the Shaper probably has the best hold, I do find that it weighs my hair down sometimes.
    Last edited by merc05; 10-07-2014 at 05:48 PM.

S46

Quote Originally Posted by merc05 View Post
    I'm going to sound like a broken record here but have you tried Hairbond? The Shaper and Moulder are both really good. Other than that, I really like Sebastian Professional Craft Clay, and Redken Rough Paste 12 is really decent too. I've also owned the Gold Digger and while I liked it I thought it was too expensive for how much you get in the pot, and I'd agree that the hold isn't as extreme as they claim.

Of all the above products I'd either go for the Rough Paste or the Moulder. They both give really good hold, and while the Shaper probably has the best hold, I do find that it weighs my hair down sometimes.
    Thanks for the great response mate. I have tried the Hairbond Moulder (I think it was the moulder, is it the black text one?). But I have only tried it twice and not actually owned it. It felt really wet when putting it onto my hand but then dried in my hair... is that familiar to you? I didn't like how that felt as it didn't give a great hold so haven't actually purchased it although this could have been down to the specific pot that I used. Not sure.

Is the Redken Rough Paste 12 in a tube? I just had a search online and it doesn't look like the usual sort of pot/wax. I also saw that there is the Redken Rough Clay 20 which is in the more traditional pot. Do you know the difference?

Thanks again for the reply!

Trend Setter
    From my experience of the Moulder it's not that wet, I actually find it a bit on the dry side on my hands as well as when applying to my hair. The Rough Paste 12 is in a tube yeah, and the only way I can describe it is that it's a bit like a toothpaste in the way you dispense it onto your hand. It's a nice product. I think the Rough Clay and the Sebastian Craft Clay will be very similar. As with any clay product, they will feel a lot drier and will give a very matte hold. They will both have good hold, a bit better than the Rough Paste I'd say.

The Craft Clay and Rough Clay are both closest to the Gold Digger out of all the products I've mentioned, you'll be happy with either I'd imagine. You could see if any of your local hairdressers have any that they'd let you try or at least take a look at? Hair products are a very subjective purchase so I don't want to tell you to definitely purchase one particular product because it might not work on your hair the same as it does on mine. Hope I've helped a bit anyway!

S46

From my experience of the Moulder it's not that wet, I actually find it a bit on the dry side on my hands as well as when applying to my hair. The Rough Paste 12 is in a tube yeah, and the only way I can describe it is that it's a bit like a toothpaste in the way you dispense it onto your hand. It's a nice product. I think the Rough Clay and the Sebastian Craft Clay will be very similar. As with any clay product, they will feel a lot drier and will give a very matte hold. They will both have good hold, a bit better than the Rough Paste I'd say.

The Craft Clay and Rough Clay are both closest to the Gold Digger out of all the products I've mentioned, you'll be happy with either I'd imagine. You could see if any of your local hairdressers have any that they'd let you try or at least take a look at? Hair products are a very subjective purchase so I don't want to tell you to definitely purchase one particular product because it might not work on your hair the same as it does on mine. Hope I've helped a bit anyway!
    Cheers mate. I think I'll pick up some Redken Rough Clay or Sebastian Craft Clay by the sounds of things. Might actually go back and try the Hairbond Moulder... that or the Shaper. Which one of the Hairbond products are more like Gold Digger? Obviously hair type and thickness plays a huge part. My hair is relatively thick and Gold Digger only holds for a couple of hours without hair spray for me. I only use like a 5p sized dollop.

Trend Setter
    Shaper has the better hold of the two but you need to be careful how much you use, too much and it makes my hair feel a bit weighed down. The Moulder is a nice texture, but I find I need to use quite a lot to get good hold.

Have you checked out the three for two offer that by vilain do? It's 39 for three, which in the long run is good value if you like the gold digger stuff but you're concerned about the price.
    Last edited by merc05; 11-07-2014 at 07:29 PM.

S46

Shaper has the better hold of the two but you need to be careful how much you use, too much and it makes my hair feel a bit weighed down. The Moulder is a nice texture, but I find I need to use quite a lot to get good hold.

Have you checked out the three for two offer that by vilain do? It's 39 for three, which in the long run is good value if you like the gold digger stuff but you're concerned about the price.
    Good insite, thanks. Might give both Moulder and Shaper a whirl then. And yeah I've had a look, it's actually not a bad price and I've probably went through about 4 pots since using it, but I always "wonder" what other products there are since whilst Gold Digger is the best I've tried, it can be improved (i.e. more hold, more in the pot etc.) so didn't want to put down 40 in case I find something else soonish.

I think I'll buy the Redken Rough Clay (or Sebastian Craft Clay depending on availability) and Hairbond Shaper now and see where to go from there based off the fact that I believe I have tried Moulder before and found that the hold wasn't great. Thanks for all your help!

Oh one last question, does the Shaper smell like toffee in your hair or just in the pot?

Trend Setter
    I think it's mostly just toffee smelling in the pot, I've never had anyone comment on the smell anyway. Let me know how you get on once you've tried a couple of them.

S46

Hey Merc, just to let you know, I purchased the rough clay from Redken as I managed to find it for just 7 online. Came in 2 days as well with free shipping! I must say it is an excellent product and exactly what I was looking for. It is actually very similar to Gold Digger - arguably better actually because I've found the hold to be pretty good and for 7 it is ridiculously good. Thanks for the help, I think I'll be sticking to this for a while now! The only downside is the deceivingly big pot.. the actual amount of contents is only 50ml so I hope it lasts a decent amount of time.

Trend Setter
    Glad you've found something to replace the Gold Digger, Redken's hair stuff is decent.

+ Reply to Thread