FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Shaved My Head 6 Days Ago

I honestly hate it. People on the internet said it would grow on me eventually, and I'm currently a laughing stock of my friends who think I look like a convict.

I went to a cheap barbershop out of laziness and ended up getting a bad haircut, I was a bit distressed by it and decided to shave it off because I thought to myself it couldn't be any worse.

I admit, I'm a bit self-conscious about my hairline and I thought the best way to deal with it would be to shave it off. Anyway, lets just say you don't realise how pale you are until you shave your head. Being ginger definitely has its downsides.

My hairstylist did say I suit longer hair and stated that my hair is really thick when I got my haircut about 5 months ago. I have an M shaped hairline, not even sure if it's receding or not, is there anyway I can actually check? my brother + dad have the same hairline plus it was kind of similar when I was younger (19 now) but I still feel a bit upset about it and self-conscious.

I also have asymmetric ears, I feel like my shaved head just emphasises all of my insecurities...

It seems to be around 1 1/4 cm long now. I shaved it to 0.5 6 days ago and I am taking 5,000 mcg biotin(which seems to speed up my hair growth). Any idea how long it will take until I have some decent weight on my head and I can stop wearing a hat everywhere I go.

On the plus sides showers are a million times easier and I don't sweat as much, and my curiosity has been satisfied

Sorry for making this seem like a sob story. It must seem really sad from an outsiders view but I just need to express my emotions somewhere. Wondering if you guys have anything to say about this.

Cheers!
    Last edited by overtoad; 25-08-2014 at 02:20 AM.

Des

Trend Setter
    I'm with you on this. All those articles telling you about the liberation and who you should aspire to. Um.. The Rock, Statham, Willis.. Bit of a pattern there.

Pretty sure if you have an 'M', and if you're actually worrying about your hairline and you also need meds then you're receding. Takes balls to go to a .5 though. I went to a 2 first and my mum cried
    Imo if you are able to grow your hair back without the use of medication then do it if you think it will make you feel better. There are a lot of styles available for the recede still. The reason people take it right down is that it doesn't accentuate the balding.

Personally I'd give it at least another week or two as a shaved dude with maybe a 2 or 3 max on top. It will give you a chance to appreciate your face and physique without the influence of a hairstyle. Even though 6 days is more than enough time for your peers and family to be used to it.

Fashionisto
    I shaved my head when I joined the RAF at 16, like you I quickly realised it looked stupid. What i'd recommend is the best advice I was given - own it.

Take ownership of it and as it grows back just get it trimmed now and then til it's eventually back how you want it. If you assert yourself with a shaved head and try to be as confident as you can be then it'll dissuade anyone who's being a bit of a bellend

Trend Setter
    I did feel sorry for the OP until I read he was only 19.

Fashionisto
    yeah hahaha, sorry chesterperry, suppose it's normal to still be a bit self-conscious at my age? thanks for all your replies guys. I really appreciate it.

Luckily I can grow facial hair so I can at least attempt to draw focus away from my scalp by growing heavy stubble.

+ Reply to Thread