FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

So i just smelled Tom Ford Oud Wood ...

... and i absolutely LOVE it

HOWEVER .. im not sure I can justify spending 142 on a bottle of it!
    any similar smells to this one? I know that's clutching at straws somewhat but hopefully there's something else out there.

This has come about because im in the market for a new scent, day and/night. from the little I sampled so far, La Nuit De L'Homme is also nice and much cheaper but I just don't fancy it as much as the Tom Ford ...

Des

Style Icon
    Nice choice esp for winter. Ysl's M7 is worth a try as is CDG Wonderwood (but I don't rate it). Shame you didn't smell those first though, as they don't really compare once you've smelt the beast.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Des View Post
    Nice choice esp for winter. Ysl's M7 is worth a try as is CDG Wonderwood (but I don't rate it). Shame you didn't smell those first though, as they don't really compare once you've smelt the beast.
    Yeah id read good things about M7 - though from what I can gather people refer there to the 'original' discontinued version, of which there seem to be a few on eBay but at around 120 a bottle.

I did actually smell the CDG Wonderwood and Wonderoud in HoF the other day, neither of which I liked either though like you. Out of the CDG range I actually liked '8 88' the most - i liked the uniqueness of it.

I bought a bottle of La Nuit just now - really do like this one too. I might treat myself to the Tom Ford at christmas maybe, its definitely the best ive come across so far.

FashionBeans Legend
    I prefer Ford's Tobacco Oud to the Oud Wood. The Wood is nice, but for that price tag, I expect something a bit more special and longer lasting.

Comme de Garcon also do a nice oud at a much cheaper price.. well worth a sniff.

Try Acqua Di Parma - Oud

I have tried both out as I was after an Oud based scent, whilst the AdP offering starts off very subtle in terms of its Oud offering I felt that once it started to settle it really came into its own. The TF option just didn't cut it for me a few hours later where as AdP really developed and lasted well. I have their Leather fragrance as well and the longverity of the scent is superb! It also retails at around 140/150, however, that is for the 100ml bottle, double what TF will get you for what I also feel a far more exciting and rounded fragrance!

Cav

I sampled Oud Wood a couple of days ago as well and loved it, especially after an hour or so... Mmm.. But at $295US for a 100mL bottle I was tossing it up.

In the end, I decided to go and buy a pair of chinos and 2 pairs of shoes... I already have plenty of colognes and would rather find a different one for $80-100 at Duty Free on my way back through the airports.

My wife treated me to Tom Ford's Oud Wood and absolutely love it. I got a bottle of Molton Brown's Oudh Accord Bath & Shower Gel to go with it - they are a perfect match. But since then, Tom Ford has added a Shower Gel to the collection.

+ Reply to Thread