FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Supplements

Hi,

I recently started going to the gym and I realized that more or less everybody there is taking all kinds of supplements.
    About myself, I am an 18 year old high school student and since my body fat is quite high (around 20% the last time I checked) my number one goal is to lose body fat and after that gaining muscle. I already started to eat a lot healthier and gladly my mum supports me where she can (cookingwise).

My question now is, what supplements can you guys recommend?

Thanks for the help guys!

Trend Setter
    A good whey protein, fish oils, multi vitamin and creatine. You need absolutely nothing else except a good diet and hard work in the gym.

FashionBeans Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by happydayz View Post
    A good whey protein, fish oils, multi vitamin and creatine. You need absolutely nothing else except a good diet and hard work in the gym.
    I'd go one step further and say that you need absolutely nothing else except a good diet and some exercise to lose weight and hard work in the gym if you want to add muscle.

I'd steer well clear of both creatine and whey protein. They are completely unnecessary.

You're much better off eating oily fish instead of Fish-oil tablets which really should only be taken in moderation.

A mulit-vitamin in small doses is fine, but should only be seen as a top-up to fill the gaps of vitamins you aren't getting from your diet.

It's shocking how widespread and acceptable the use of supplements have become. I guarantee that they will fuck up a lot of people's health down the line and all for the short term vanity of "looking buff".

Fashionisto
    Whey protein is just remnants of making cheese or something I've heard mixed with water or milk so in theory it's just a way to hit your daily protein limit through drinking your foods rather than eating. It is easily replaceable by just eating normal 'bodybuilding' staple foods such as chicken and rice and you'll also learn how to cook.

Creatine is a bit more ambiguous. I've heard it can cause hair loss in people due to accelerated DHT levels but it definitely brings results.

I don't use supplements myself but they can be effective but not required.

If you're new to the gym you're going to build muscle easily in the first 6 months or so anyway regardless of what you do as long as you're eating enough food.
    Last edited by overtoad; 02-03-2015 at 06:36 PM.

+ Reply to Thread