FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 ... Last

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by William Colman View Post
    Fair enough, I still can't get over them though, or that when you are 70 it is still there, despite what it means to you when you are younger. Would they perhaps have to have them covered up most of the time though? (I can understand the surgeon not being covered of course)

I suppose a little prejudice comes from seeing so many people with just down right silly tattoos, for example I know someone who has had high five and low five done of either palm respectively, just on a whim, funny now, but not so much later on.

I certainly don't want to come across as having a dig, I can understand why people might feel the need to get one, but I think I subscribe to a more traditionalist point of view.
    I can see where you're coming from, Will. I think it entirely depends on the industry that you work in. I can only speak for two. I used to work as an ad exec and tattoos were seen as the norm. I was never under the impression that those with a bit of ink felt like they had to cover up, even when in the board room. It was a very relaxed attitude when it came to that sort of thing but then it's just the nature of the industry. As long as they weren't overtly offensive or showing too much skin...

In mental health, on a day to day basis it is pretty much the same. My line manager wears an earring and has his tatts on display. Maybe if there was a meeting with the director of nursing then he would feel that he'd have to dress more 'appropriately', I don't know. On a slightly different but still related note, I know of a clinical psychologist with a full on mohawk. I suppose, like tattoos, ways of expressing yourself that were once seen as something of a niche, reserved for 'scene kids' or whatever have come to the forefront of pop culture.

I hope this doesn't sound too convoluted or condescending.

FashionBeans Staff
    Not at all! its interesting to hear peoples opinions. It is each to their own in the end and it is up to the individual to make informed decisions on how they present themselves, fair play if he has the balls to pull of a full mohawk!

Seems like a massive trend lately, everybody is going the "got a new chapter in my life coming up lemme get a koi fish symbolizing [insert admirable personality trait]" route. Not saying more tattooing is bad but its getting abused lately.

Fashionisto
    Just like to state Olly, I am still Undergrad but on an integrated masters course, my goal is PhD though
    And it is a fantastic way to open up yourself, I think it adds character. Erm, firstly, a very minor piece, I am getting "Home." tattooed on my wrist - I moved around a lot when I was younger, and never seem to be home, always somewhere far away. Kinda a reminder for me of the people and the places I can call home. And the second piece, well, it's a surprise yet
    And William, I used to have the same opinion after seeing so much meaningless crap, I wouldn't get anything that means nothing and just for the sake of it though.
    Must say Tone - Biomech is pretty cool stuff. H.R. Giger style stuff? And LA ink is a good shop, but in America, I have to pass on a friends reviews of Wooster Street Social Club (NY Ink), he was tattooed by Ami there, said it was fantastic.
    I'm impressed with your colleague too. A mohawk takes some bollocks and are awesome.
    And everything should really come from your heart, not the suggestions of others. The stuff I think of will be my own, in one way or another. And yes, it is getting abused, especially near where I live, all the scene kids and stuff getting tattoos to "fit in" with their group.

Trend Setter
    Yes Topher, I love those! I saw a tattoo competition on TV awhile back with Guy Aitchison and another guy, pretty awesome stuff.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Topher View Post
    Erm, firstly, a very minor piece, I am getting "Home." tattooed on my wrist - I moved around a lot when I was younger, and never seem to be home, always somewhere far away. Kinda a reminder for me of the people and the places I can call home.
    Saw this a while back, Topher and it's kind of similar to what you said in a way.

Tattoos - Page 27
    The story behind it on the next page is good also. I like it alot although I'd probably make it less 'boxy'

Quote Originally Posted by DeadPresident View Post
    Seems like a massive trend lately, everybody is going the "got a new chapter in my life coming up lemme get a koi fish symbolizing [insert admirable personality trait]" route. Not saying more tattooing is bad but its getting abused lately.
    I second that. Everybody`s trying so hard to be unique, yet more often than not they end up looking just like every other guy, with a stupid barbed wire around the biceps, or when it comes to girls, a butterfly on the ankle or above the butt.

I`m generalizing, of course. Though I seriously doubt how good will any tattoo look on your skin when you`re turning 50 or something.

Fashionisto
    Aha tone, it's truly brilliant art!And I love that one olly, I get the similarities there!
    And Loki, yeah, you are right in some parts of that - but hey, if it looks bad when I'm 50, it looks bad. I guess though, some of my family members have had them for years and they are still fine! :')

Trend Setter
    I think Nick Wooster still looks great at 51!

Nick Wooster Tattoos - Nickelson Wooster on His Tattoos - Esquire

Fashionisto
    Nick Wooster undoubtedly still looks fantastic at 51! However, he caught the tattoo bug later than most. Some of his are more recent, and he has them topped up. But still - yes, he still keeps looking great.

+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 ... Last