FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last

Trend Setter

Men's Tattoos - Opinions

Wasn't sure where to put this...

Fan? Not a fan? Got any? Do you take them into consideration when you get dressed in the morning? Plans for (any more) work? Discuss!

Big fan... if they mean something.

If something is going on my body permanently then it needs to have a reason, not a fan of random tattoos.

Also, if I were to get one I'm not sure I could get it somewhere visible (neck/hands/forearm) during work times; although I believe self expression is good - being pre-judged however unintentionally isn't fun.

Fashionisto
    Massive fan. Love tattoos. None yet, but have a couple planned. Some lettering on my right wrist, and I've got another one designed, but placement is my problem for the second one.

FashionBeans Staff
    Never really wanted one, my Mum would sting me up by my balls if I ever did get one. I just can't get round the - you have it for life = thing, and I find sleeves almost laughable; they're hardly going to be suitable when you eventually grow up and need to get a proper job and look respectable.

Fashionisto
    To reply to William's post - in terms of getting proper jobs? My cousin has a sleeve - she is an executive at one of the top 10 pharmaceutical companies in Europe. A friend's father has a sleeve, and he is a surgeon. The NYPD don't mind sleeves any more, from a stateside point of view. Not all "proper jobs" are limited by you having tattoo sleeves. Why should a sleeve stop you looking respectable? Just another point of view.

But fortunately, my mum approves of tattoos :') Piercings however, I am scared to get any, she hates them. I value my life too much to get any piercings

Trend Setter
    I agree with Topher. I work in mental health. It's not unusual to see some of the younger consultants with sleeves.

Fashionisto
    I'm just a student, but I'm aiming for a PhD and to work in cancer research. Is having ink in my skin really going to affect my performance on the job? This is fortunately an attitude employers are beginning to adopt. The world is becoming a little more tattoo friendly every day, which is a bonus. My tattoos are going to reflect who I am, and represent things to do with me. But in the end, it is all down to personal opinion. What about yourself Olly?

Trend Setter
    Completely with you, Topher. Like you, I'll prob be doing my doctorate in the next couple of years. The idea of having some ink on display from time to time doesn't bother me. I have a piece on my wrist and I find that with new patients it's often a talking point to get them to open up a little bit before they start therapy etc. I think certainly in my line of work, showing that you're a human being and not just a robot in a suit can help- not that that would be a reason for getting any work done.
    I'm trying to sketch out an idea for my next piece at the moment. Got a couple of ideas but nothing concrete as of yet. What about you? What are the bits you've designed?

FashionBeans Staff
    Fair enough, I still can't get over them though, or that when you are 70 it is still there, despite what it means to you when you are younger. Would they perhaps have to have them covered up most of the time though? (I can understand the surgeon not being covered of course)

I suppose a little prejudice comes from seeing so many people with just down right silly tattoos, for example I know someone who has had high five and low five done of either palm respectively, just on a whim, funny now, but not so much later on.

I certainly don't want to come across as having a dig, I can understand why people might feel the need to get one, but I think I subscribe to a more traditionalist point of view.
    Last edited by William Colman; 23-11-2011 at 09:31 AM.

Trend Setter
    I've always loved tattoos and think they can look awesome! However my taste changes like the wind, and I know at some point I'm going to go off it and be full of regret. If I'm ever brave enough to just do it I would get a biomechanical sleeve and get it done at LA Ink so I could meet Kat Von D.

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last