FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Time To Change My Hairstyle

Well first off, I'm 17 and I have been sporting the fringe and side bang style for quite a while now....and now as I'm reinventing myself, I think it's time for a more 'masculine' hairstyle. This is me, as of recent: (top one is most recent) http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...14165217_n.jpg http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/6...ture0005tg.jpg I was thinking of going with the Quiff, something along these lines: 1. Gant Rugger Suit, Topman Shirt, Gant Rugger Sweater, Ralph Lauren Tie, Antonio Maurizi Shoes //"I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I was a baller" by Edward Honaker // LOOKBOOK.nu 2. Abel Brown Jacket, H&M Sweater, Hartford Shirt, Ralph Lauren Tie, H&M Pants, Bostonian Shoes //"Bored" by Edward Honaker // LOOKBOOK.nu 3. H&M Shirt, H&M Pants, Ben Sherman Tie, Ben Sherman Bag, Florsheim Shoes //"Business Edward" by Edward Honaker // LOOKBOOK.nu Would this suit my face shape, if at all? I have seen the article on this site, but I'm not sure on what my face shape actually is . My hair gets more wavier with length, (so straighteners are a must when it's long) and it's thick and naturally dry. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by malti001; 24-02-2012 at 10:11 PM. Reason: fixed the paragraphs...ok paragraphs simply aren't working for me :(

Style Icon
    I have a quiff (slightly more slicked back than that one) but same principle.

Headshape wise, I always advise saying "cut my hair as short on the back and the sides as you can with SCISSORS" and blending at the top. If you feel braver, you can always get it shaved or done with the clippers next time.

I also have slightly wavy hair. Rather than straighten it, I use mousse when its wet and carefully dry it into place with a brush and a hairdryer. When its dry I apply a very SMALL amount of matte clay product just to add definition and fix my side parting.

Rather than rubbing the product into your hair, just smooth your hands slightly across all your hair lightly. This should stop the product bringing out all the natural curls and waves in your air. Texture is good anyway! Don't over straighten it. Learn to love your curls! (to an extent)

Sam

Style Icon
    Looks like you have a rather large forehead to me. If that's true and I'm not judging it wrong, I think a quiff would be a terrible idea.
    Best Men's Hairstyles by Face Shape - Hairstyles for Men 2010 - Esquire
    That's an excellent little feature, and that's the slide I think you should consider. It's not a drastic change either, which is good - though you seem set on "reinvention", the truth is that drastic change can make you look like a bit of a try-hard.
    You say straighteners are a must when it's long - but that's a mistake. Truth is, wavy hair is a desirable look if you keep it well maintained and it's the main difference between what you've got and the style suggested there.
    That said, I can't tell where your hairline is; if it's lower than I guessed, a quiff might not be such a bad idea after all. Long at the front, not quite so long on top and shorter at the sides.
    If your forehead is larger though, and you're really wanting a shorter, more "groomed" style, consider slide 9 of that feature - the side parting with a little length around the sides. That's a good alternative to the quiff that perhaps suits larger foreheads better.

Trend Setter

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Looks like you have a rather large forehead to me. If that's true and I'm not judging it wrong, I think a quiff would be a terrible idea. Best Men's Hairstyles by Face Shape - Hairstyles for Men 2010 - EsquireThat's an excellent little feature, and that's the slide I think you should consider. It's not a drastic change either, which is good - though you seem set on "reinvention", the truth is that drastic change can make you look like a bit of a try-hard. You say straighteners are a must when it's long - but that's a mistake. Truth is, wavy hair is a desirable look if you keep it well maintained and it's the main difference between what you've got and the style suggested there. That said, I can't tell where your hairline is; if it's lower than I guessed, a quiff might not be such a bad idea after all. Long at the front, not quite so long on top and shorter at the sides. If your forehead is larger though, and you're really wanting a shorter, more "groomed" style, consider slide 9 of that feature - the side parting with a little length around the sides. That's a good alternative to the quiff that perhaps suits larger foreheads better.
    My hairline starts about 2.5 inches from the top of my eyebrows, and about 3 inches from the middle of my eyebrows...I think that could classify it as a large forehead. Also, I'm really set to changing my usual hairstyle, as I have had my hair over my face for as long as I can remember; I've always had some sort of fringe and side bangs, and personally I think it's time for a complete change-try-hard or not. That's why I'm so determined on changing it, as it's kind of the start of a new me. And I can assure you, long wavy hair is the least desirable type of hair ever. When I wake up, you could mistake my hair for a large gargled mess of entangled hair, all going in different directions. That's why a new haircut is in order. Now, I'm kind of lost, as I really though that the Quiff could work, and that 9th slide really isn't a departure from what I currently have; more like playing it safe. (PS I really don't know how the angry emoticon got there and how to delete it, my apologies o.O )
    Last edited by malti001; 25-02-2012 at 11:30 PM.

Sam

Style Icon
    Well, that would be my take on things; you know your hair and face better than I do though. If you're that set on a big change, the only way you'll really know is to try it out, if you're willing to take the risk.
    In truth the quiff is a pretty forgiving style if you go for a classic cut that's medium length and not too short at the sides - think James Dean rather than Morrissey. And if what I may have mistook for a large forehead was actually a tall skull, perhaps the quiff is the cut for you.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by malti001 View Post
    My hairline starts about 2.5 inches from the top of my eyebrows, and about 3 inches from the middle of my eyebrows...I think that could classify it as a large forehead. Also, I'm really set to changing my usual hairstyle, as I have had my hair over my face for as long as I can remember; I've always had some sort of fringe and side bangs, and personally I think it's time for a complete change-try-hard or not. That's why I'm so determined on changing it, as it's kind of the start of a new me. And I can assure you, long wavy hair is the least desirable type of hair ever. When I wake up, you could mistake my hair for a large gargled mess of entangled hair, all going in different directions. That's why a new haircut is in order. Now, I'm kind of lost, as I really though that the Quiff could work, and that 9th slide really isn't a departure from what I currently have; more like playing it safe. (PS I really don't know how the angry emoticon got there and how to delete it, my apologies o.O )
    Mate I would say, if you're set on something DO IT. Faceshapes and all that are important but they are still a guideline, and just that. Like clothes, confidence has a big part to play in whether you pull of confidence.

When I first got my quiff, I wasn't sure and my mum told me she really didn't like it. But then I said sod it, I like it and as soon as I'd changed my perception, the compliments started flooding in. Hold your head high, that's the main factor in a good hairstyle!

Trend Setter
    I'll go to my hairdresser after I'm done with my exams, and then I'll post some pics to keep you updated so you could see how it turned out

+ Reply to Thread