FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last
    JCB

Use Of Foundation?

Maybe a little bit crazy question, but I’m a 19 year old and considering to use a bit of foundation to cover up skin imperfections and some acne.I have been looking for some time now to find a suitable foundation stick, but I have some doubts about my skin tone. In the picture below you can see part of my face.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What do you guys think? I’m pretty sure that I have a yellow skin tone, so I was thinking about gold porcelain from L'oreal Studio Secrets (http://www.loreal-paris.co.uk/cosmet...elain-013.aspx). Thanks for your help!

Fashionisto
    Please don't. We are men, leave the make up for ladies.

Why don't try and just solve the actual problem and find a skin care product to clear up your acne/imperfections?

A product with 2.5% benzoyl peroxide is fantastic for acne.

Jay

Style Icon
    And most guys would suggest spending money on moisturisers, cleansers, toners and that enjoying shopping for clothes weren't manly things to do either (which are things the majority of the guys on this forum do), so I'm not sure what your point is Jay_.

As a teenager, nothing at all fixed my skin (thankfully, time did), so any extra help would have been gratefully received. I've never used a foundation, but I know some modern foundations are pretty much invisible if expertly applied so I don't see what the big deal is.

Sadly, I can't of much help to the OP as I've never used them myself.

Fashionisto
    It's the old men's make up debate Jay, each to their own.

In my personal opinion we have to draw the line somewhere. Some woman find it weird and your guy mates would laugh at you. If it makes you feel more confident however then go for it, who am I to tell you whats right and wrong.

However I think the OP would be better off finding the cause of their acne and clearing up their skin rather than just "hiding" the problem. Depending on how sensitive your skin is then ironically putting makeup on your face could in turn lead to more acne.

If you still want to go for it then have a look here you might find what your looking for and some on that page claim that they actually treat blemishes:-http://www.mankind.co.uk/health-beauty/skincare/concealers-cosmetics.list

Style Icon
    Nothing wrong with a bit of concealer to cover up the odd spot I think. I do it quite reguarly. But that is a last resort. If I've washed, moisterised and used emergency spot cream and its still there, then I cover it up.
    Girls make the effort for us. The trick is to repay the effort without crossing the line and trying too hard.

I occasionally let my GF put concealer on a spot for me, then I think "wtf am I doing?" and wash it off

Fuck it, we are men, we're not meant to be airbrushed and perfect

Tom

Trend Setter
    If it's a confidence thing then my view is that it'll be a whole lot worse when your mates stick the boot in after figuring out you're wearing makeup.

Trend Setter
    I had bad skin growing up and I would have done almost anything to help. For some, it's a matter of letting acne run its course. If using a foundation is going to give you confidence, while you're going through that phase, and make you happier, then you go for it.

Asking on a forum is the right thing to do, because as we see above, men wearing make-up still carries a stigma.

While I don't wear a foundation, I have tried it and it looked great and worked remarkably well for my self esteem and nobody saw it.

You're right, you have to get the colour just right or you will have a tint in the light. I used Menaji, which is available on Mankind.

I have found that a concealer is easier for me. I use a Mac one that my girlfriend got for me. I just dab it on a red area and it blends in very well.

As mentioned above, you should get your daily routine right too. A simple cleanser and moisturiser each morning and night and a weekly exfoliate will be enough. However, if you pick a new one, bear with it - you must allow your skin time to get used to it.

I'd also like to add that I think your skin looks great in the picture, better even than mine does now.
    www.twitter.com/electroRoss

JCB

Thanks for all your reactions! I think I'm going to try a concealer instead of foundation. Any idea which one is appropriate for my skin? I was thinking about the L'oreal True Match Touche Magique Concealer W1-2 Ivory Beige.

Trend Setter
    I recommend this but you'll have to pick the shade MAC Cosmetics UK | Concealer | Mineralize Concealer
    www.twitter.com/electroRoss

+ Reply to Thread