FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Ears That Stick Out And Hair Style Problems

All my life I have had ears that are averagely sized but stick out at almost 90 degrees to my head. To combat this, throughout my teenage years I've been able to hide them behind longer hair styles that are layered around the ears. However, I'm now 20 I'm undergoing a style revolution and want to become more manly looking and more fashionable. However, this years hairstyles all seem to be about the short back and sides, which only exagerates and draws attention to my ears. I'm looking for a style that covers my ears, or at least disguises them, but is up to date, and less 'teenage-boy-looking'. Anyone out there got any ideas?

Style Icon
    I have had similar problems. When I got my first proper back and sides (number one) with a long fringe on top, it was a very "fashionable" cut but it did not suit me.
    I think the trick is to have a cut thats shorter at the back and sides and longer at the front, without the back and sides being very tight. Just a little bit of hair touching your ears can make all the difference.
    Here's a style with a fringe but you could always wear it back if you want something more manly and less "boyish". I like fringes though, not a massive fan of my forehead!
    [IMG]hair.jpg[/IMG]

Don't worry about your ears and the things that people can say!! You have to be proud of your body!!

Fashionisto
    Listen to my advice. Had the same problem, and one day i just went to classic barber who laughed at me when i told him my problem. He just said: ,, i see nothing wrong with your ears,,. Avoided my advice and left them in plain sight, with classic haircut that so many fashionable people sport today.
    After few days i got used to it and forget it. No one said anything about my ears, and i am feeling more comfortable now.

I have recently joined this site looking for advice as I have decided the new year should bring with it a slightly more 'grown-up' image of myself now I have reached the dizzy heights of 21. I like you, have found the new shorter look quite hard to adapt to because of my ears. After plenty of different style attempts, I walked into my local salon a couple of weeks ago and literally said "I'm wanting to ditch the long side and fringe 'Beiber' look, but as you can say my ears stick out loads! So I would basically like a much more formal & tame style but with just enough on the sides to cover those bad boys up." She laughed, and followed up with exactly what I asked for! Be straight with whoever is cutting your hair and tell them exactly what you want!

Big ears shouldnt hold you back

I am in the same boat as many, and for me my "monkey ears" have always been the main focus of my hair style. Always playing away with my hair and wanting more then being stuck with the all over mop and sweep hairtyle I had. After having a sporty start to the year in 2011 i decided to throw away the fear and go for the short back and sides. Went down to grade one with my long quiff on top. Sure i got a few comments on nights out being compared to "Dumbo" but it was a conversation starter and are a strong characteristic to show off. Now after a year i have the short back and sides still (however the sides are now grade 4/5 with a very long mop on top) but the year has shown me how to build on the style you like and how to fit it to yourself.
    --- So after all this yarn of my life story, short back and sides can look great with big ears but for me dont make the sides too short but a noticeable difference line of length from the top.

+ Reply to Thread