FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Cool Changing Style For A Girl?

hey all,
    I really like this girl and I want to impress her. She's really fashionable. This in a sense that I am always wondering if she is judging my outfits (which all girls do anyway).
    She's really into the whole indie rock hipster guy. I mean, should I change it up? I do like some stuff in that field of fashion! Maybe I should just incorporate tiny things into my own style?

Links? Pictures? Suggestions? Advice?

Style Icon
    Sorry to break it to you, but women don't fancy fashionable men. They fancy men who wear Hollister t-shirts, go to the gym alot and use too much hair gel, in other words, twats.

Now I've got that bitterness out of my system, I shall answer your question.

I can actually relate to your situation quite alot; my ex was really into hipster fashion and within a couple of months she had me in fair-isle jumpers, skinny jeans and quilted jackets. I even had the standard 10mm stretcher in my ear.

I really regret that period of my style now, I secretly wanted to dress as I do now (classic, heritage-influenced). I think girls, if they notice style at all, apreciate something minimalist, refined and masculine. Think James Dean, think leather jackets and plain white tees.

Now I personally don't dress like that. I just love tailoring too much and I sometimes think my rather more formal style might put off a certain group of women. But then again, I wouldn't want to be with said women. That's the point; dress for yourself, but also for the sort of girl that YOU would like to be with.
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Nath6644 View Post
    Sorry to break it to you, but women don't fancy fashionable men. They fancy men who wear Hollister t-shirts, go to the gym alot and use too much hair gel, in other words, twats.
    Those girls are usually slags tbh.

Ontopic: If you already have a defined style I would never change it for a girl. Nothing wrong with adding a few elements here and there if you genuinely like them but changing styles overnight will most likely put people off, especially if it's a style that doesn't actually correlate with your persona. For example I personally would love to be that badass rockstar type guy but if I showed up one day with 50 tats and a biker look.. Well that would not look fantastic to say the least.

FashionBeans Staff
    never change your style for a girl, add touches that will make grab her attention and suggest similarities but make sure they additions that you like as much as her; then they are simply part of a style evolution. if she likes you then it will come around in time; changing the way you dress will look contrived, try hard and a bit silly.

I for one won't ever change any aspect of my style unless I want to; if a girl doesn't like the way I dress or thinks I should try something I don't want to, then she clearly isn't a girl I want to spend my time with.

tajdon
    In my opinion, you really don't have to overly dress up for a girl. Women like to keep it simple. Just as long as we can bring ourselves well and as long as we look really decent, not too clean, but really decent, they like it.

To compromise who you are for a woman is not being true to yourself, if she doesn't like you when you're being yourself then why would she like you when you're pretending to be somebody else? sorry if that sounds harsh, i didn't intend it to be that way.

Dress how you please, and wear it with confidence. If you like the "hipster" style as much as she does, then by all means go for it; if you'd just feel uncomfortable, however, then don't bother. It'll backfire.

Fashionisto
    I have two sisters and believe me when I say that ladies do judge men on their style and appearence! I don't think that you should change your style radically though, girls/women don't necessarily want a boyfriend to dress in a specific style, rather they tend to go for guys who have their own unique sense of style. My sisters say the first things they notice are a guys hairstyle, shoes and watch. Invest in tidy shoes and a classic watch and you can't go wrong.

Really, you shouldn't change your style for a girl. If you want to update or tweak aspects of your look for a more polished aesthetic, by all means go for it. Try pinpointing weak areas; if most of your pants are an outdated cut, have them altered to a more current one. Just step up your game, as opposed to trying to be someone you're not for the benefit of someone else. Authenticity is important.

Be yourself. In my experience, girls like men the most who are confident in themselves and the way they like to dress, not guys who change themselves overnight to win the affection of said girls. (Though the sad fact is also that following this there are some girls that won't be attracted to you if you dress a certain way.)

+ Reply to Thread