FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Interior Design

I'm making this thread because this one field I don't know very much about. I care about aesthetics from anything ranging from: clothes, to all the way to my phone looks, my car, my house. These things do matter and I value aesethic beauty in all aspects. Even architectural designs are important;' i want to live in a city and be in a college campus that's aesthetically pleasing.

With that said I don't have my own roof, so it's not for me to worry about jsut yet, but I wanna know so when I grow older I'll have an idea how to set up nice furniture. With that said I got this idea when I went my parents shopping for a new dining table. We went to the most popular choice with raymorflaningan. the other place we go to the most is ikea as well and they purchased one for 2.5k.

now I'm wondering if popularity is always the best choice. When I ask people if they've ever heard of Allsaints they say no. Even though it's a great brand not many people know about them, they opt for places like HM,foreever21, or macys. So i'm wondering if the same is true for furniture as well? Are there actually places that are like alternatives to the high fashion in the same way that allsaints is with its edgy/super cool designs?

This thread is probably really stupid.

Trend Setter
    The one issue with "popularity" is that it is determined by the majority of people - most of whom have limited knowledge in the subject area. This is true for engineering/architecture, and for clothing. Whats usually popular, isn't the best quality. And usually doesnt represent the best value for money.

Secondly, if your looking purely at asthetics - is what most people choose what you actually like? Maybe not.

FashionBeans Legend
    I love interior design, but this is one area where (barring getting the odd steal/using companies like IKEA) you have to spend a LOT of money to get it perfect imo.
    My fashion blog, 24 Pinfold Street at wordpress.
    Instagram: robx4000

Trend Setter
    Check out Not On The High Street and Made.com both offer lots of stylish furniture for good prices.

Tbh IKEA is a win and our home is full of IKEA stuff mixed with the occasional vintage/retro piece.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeGibraltar View Post
    The one issue with "popularity" is that it is determined by the majority of people - most of whom have limited knowledge in the subject area. This is true for engineering/architecture, and for clothing. Whats usually popular, isn't the best quality. And usually doesnt represent the best value for money.

Secondly, if your looking purely at asthetics - is what most people choose what you actually like? Maybe not.
    Exactly, you're right. I think the marketing works in a way that condenses peoples knowledge to superifical aspects. Which is why people will opt for the mainstream brands instead of brands like allsaints, OL, acne etc. where as people think ted baker is actually good.

And I was wondering if there was an equivalent to the interior design/furnite industry because I know it's true in clothing. Like is there an alternative in the same way that allsaints is.

I love interior design, but this is one area where (barring getting the odd steal/using companies like IKEA) you have to spend a LOT of money to get it perfect imo.

this is true, but I'm not tlaking so much about steal but more of an alternative to the mainstream. Not in money, but like aesthetics and quality. Ie allsaints.

edit: this is what we got for our dining room Palazzo 7-pc. Dining Set | Dining Sets | Raymour and Flanigan Furniture

Trend Setter
    I think most people stick to buying things they've heard of, or seen. Its easier to convince someone to buy furniture for example, from a company they've seen adverts for instead of companies they've never heard of (maybe they distrust them?) But some comes down to knowledge, and more so than a lot would like to admit - price.

I work in a design office, and as a lot of friends of recently bought homes on an affordable housing programe over here - ask me questions. But regardless of how much i try and explain it, they are still adement that they want laminate flooring or ceramic tiles. Too many people look at price over quality and long term economy.

This probably works some what on clothes, and why some people think Ted Baker is good - because its more expensive than your normal high street brands. Try and introduce those people to something slightly more expensive, but ten times better in quality - if they havent heard of it, they'll hesitate.

On a side note, im going to assume you don't live in the UK? All Saints isn't an obscure, unheard of brand (assuming its the company im thinking of) The same company that make those shirts with a rams skull or goats skull as a logo? Go to Puerto Banus, and half the British men are wearing that stuff.

Its true that popularity is a good choice but not always. Its basically the trend that most of the generation start following but it never means that you don't give importance to your own taste and fashion sense. many different brands like the one you mention Allsaints have very cool and trendy designs but as they are not well renowned to everyone so most of us will not include it in our wishlist but i still stick to my opinion that give more importance to your own taste and choice rather then following famous brands and trends. same is true for furniture and all interior designing.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeGibraltar View Post
    I think most people stick to buying things they've heard of, or seen. Its easier to convince someone to buy furniture for example, from a company they've seen adverts for instead of companies they've never heard of (maybe they distrust them?) But some comes down to knowledge, and more so than a lot would like to admit - price.

I work in a design office, and as a lot of friends of recently bought homes on an affordable housing programe over here - ask me questions. But regardless of how much i try and explain it, they are still adement that they want laminate flooring or ceramic tiles. Too many people look at price over quality and long term economy.

This probably works some what on clothes, and why some people think Ted Baker is good - because its more expensive than your normal high street brands. Try and introduce those people to something slightly more expensive, but ten times better in quality - if they havent heard of it, they'll hesitate.

On a side note, im going to assume you don't live in the UK? All Saints isn't an obscure, unheard of brand (assuming its the company im thinking of) The same company that make those shirts with a rams skull or goats skull as a logo? Go to Puerto Banus, and half the British men are wearing that stuff.
    I think my parents got tricked into doing both ceramic tiles and laminate flooring, we figured out later that we got taken advatange of. Once I get my own house I wont be making the same mistakes. And yeah people are more likely to go from a place they immediately know about rather than a place they never heard of.

Yeah, don't mention ted baker, one of the worst brands out there that people think is of high quality because of the pricing. High price generally means higher quality imo, but you need the right brand where that is true. Whats your reasoning behind talking your friends out of ceramics and laminate flooring?

I live in the USA yes, so british brands here are actually not as well known. Allsaints is not obscure yeah among fashion afficianodos it's pretty well known, I think obscure would be some unheard of brand from japan or something that probably has weird styling. I don't think there could ever be an alternative to allsaints from some lesser known brand, I think it's too difficult to do. But a lot of people here don't even know about topman or river island either.

Trend Setter
    A lot of people generally buy flooring types because of price, maybe spend a little more to get a particular colour or look they like - but go no further. I suppose the average person doesn't see a floor with as much importance (look wise) than say a sofa, or table and chairs. A floors importance is generally over looked.

Id avoid laminate flooring purely because its cheap and tacky. Its basically scrap MDF thats been pressed into a board, with a photograph of wood glued to the top. Any water leaks (or even dog pee), can make it warp. Over here we have very high humidty and sea air - it just doesn't last that long here either.

Cermaic is certainly better than laminate imo by a long shot - but its something id feel more comfortable using on walls instead of on floors. Ceramic isn't that strong, and is prone to cracking. Be it because it was laid slightly unevenly, dropping items, vibrations of machines (washing machine, tumble dryer). Plus, the face of ceramic tiles is a glaze, which can get scratched and unevenly change colour due to sunlight - but thats only a problem in sunny places and over prolong time periods. Ceramic is also thin and fragile, and with the minor earth quake tremours we sometimes get, its common here for some to pop up off the floor (and thats in apartment blocks constructed entirely from concrete), which is why id use them on walls or as a splash back, but not on floors. If you want a floor which last.

Id personally only use porcelain, pure hardwood, marble or stone myself, for flooring. These materials are durable, not easily broken, colour fading is minimal compared to others or non existant. Theres a saying in the UK "quality is remembered, long after price is forgotten". I find this to be very true be it clothes, or construction materials. And as buying a house is the single biggest investment most people will ever make in their lifetimes, id urge any home owner to strive for the best quality materials they can obtain.

Im surprised Ted Baker is famous in the States, yet other British brands aren't. Strange how marketing works!

+ Reply to Thread