FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last

FashionBeans Legend

Movie Reviews

This is a thread for reviewing films you've seen - good, bad or indifferent... it can be as detailed as you like or just a one-liner.

Recent releases only please and marks outta ten also.

To kick off proceedings, here's a few I remember seeing in the past few months:

The Imitation Game

MI6 recruit maths geeks to crack the German Enigma code during the Second World War. In a weak year for films, this was one of the better films I saw in 2014.. good cast, solid acting, engaging story. 8/10

Fury

Brad Pitt kicks German butt during the Second World War. A solid & very watchable war movie. 8 / 10

Gone Girl

Wife-goes-missing-drama-with-a-twist. Can't say much about this one without giving the plot away, but I enjoyed the film for the most part but thought the end of it was fairly lame. 6/10

Birdman

I have no idea why this film is getting the accolades it's getting. It is a pile of absolute self-indulgent bollox. Distracting camera work, a headwrecking soundtrack and a storyline that - by the time it started to develop - I had entirely lost interest in both the characters and the plot. Turned it off after an hour as it was really starting to grate on my nerves. They also made Emma Stone go blonde for this. Entirely unforgivable. 0/10

Under The Skin

Didn't make it to the end of this one either.. the first 40 minutes or so is Scarlett Johansson driving round in a van trying in Scotland trying to pick up random blokes. Not to ride... apparently she's an alien. She's brunette in this but she gets her kit off, which makes up for it. 8/10 for the nudity 1/10 for the film

Locke

This is a dreadful premise for a film.. a man makes a series of telephone calls as he drives from Birmingham to London. And that's it... one man, one car, one phone for the entire film. It shouldn't work at all, but it really does. Tom Hardy is excellent as always. 7/10

Frank

Michael Fassbender plays Frank Sidebottom - rather curiously - in a Jim Morrisson style as he records an album with his band which includes Domhnall Gleeson (Brendan Gleeson's son) who is rather good in it. An enjoyable flick. 7/10

Des

Style Icon
    Watched Locke on the plane recently despite everyone telling me not to bother. Surprisingly not that bad while attempting to butter a stale bread roll and sipping cheap vino. I like his accent.

Best film I've seen this year is Whiplash. Even though I hate jazz.

Trend Setter
    The Grand Budapest Hotel
    Typical Wes Anderson quirky style, beautifully shot, fun, interesting, funny. It's like Moonrise Kingdom (another WA filum), only much better.
    For me, I'd have to be in the right mood for it, I watched it one cold dark lazy Sunday morn, sprawled on the sofa, with the missus, a nice cuppa tea...lovely.
    8.5 on 10

Maleficent
    'One for all the family' - essentially a fairytale, but one made/told in a way that it can be (thoroughly) enjoyed by adults. Think 'Stardust'.
    Angelina Jolie is excellent in it, and I'm not her biggest fan.
    Loved it.
    9 on 10.

Watched Locke too the other day, I really loved the idea of it, all monologue, 1 camera/location (well, he was driving, so not strictly 1 location...but I mean 'in the car') for most of it. And I thought TH was typically good, but it just didn't deliver for me, the script/storyline was just not quite engaging enough, I give it a 6

FashionBeans Legend
    I have Whiplash on my "to watch" list. Kinda been putting it off.. will definitely give it a shot soon though Des,

Hadn't heard of Maleficent. Sounds promising. Might skip the Wes Andersen film though... I really don't like his stuff at all.

Trend Setter
    I actually really liked Birdman, definitely hard to follow though.

FashionBeans Legend
    Just checking thru the library... a few more I'd forgotten about:

The Salvation

A good old-fashioned revenge themed western. A well acted, well shot film with a predictable but enjoyable storyline. Eric Cantona plays a supporting role. With a French accent. Class stuff.

7/10

Predestination

Starts off well, develops nicely, then turns into a complicated time-travel, interweaving story about a person who turns out to be both himself, his own mother and his own father. Or something like that. By the end I wasn't entirely sure what the hell was going on.

4/10

St.Vincent

Predictable but watchable flick about a grumpy old man - played adeptly by Bill Murray - who underneath his spikey exterior, really ain't so bad. Awh. This one made the missus blub and cry for the final half hour (in chick language, that makes it a winner).

6.5/10

The Drop

This film has a great cast.. Tom Hardy, James Gandolfini & Noomi Rapace... but their talents are pretty much wasted on a story that really isn't all that engaging. The cast make it a half decent film though.

5/10

Des

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    The Drop

This film has a great cast.. Tom Hardy, James Gandolfini & Noomi Rapace... but their talents are pretty much wasted on a story that really isn't all that engaging. The cast make it a half decent film though.

5/10
    Agree on this. Hardy is the master of accents at the mo but this seemed more like something I'd have playing in the background and Tony Soproano was definitely wasted. Couldn't tell if the lead actress was fit or if it was just because she was the only female.

Begin Again
    I enjoyed it and I enjoyed the soundtrack no joke. I hate obnoxious Adam Levine but this is also the only film I've liked which has Keira Knightley. She's likeable in this.

FashionBeans Legend
    A Most Violent Year

This film starts off terribly slow and takes an age to go nowhere fast for a good hour. What happened after the first hour, I have no idea.. I had to give the young lad a bottle and by the time I got back to the TV, Match of the Day had started and I'd lost the motivation to stick the film back on.

?/10

American Sniper

A film about an American sniper. He shoots, he kills and in between tours of Iraq, he suffers from post-traumatic war disorder.

It's not Eastwood's best war film - it certainly lacks the grand cinematic scales of Flags & Iwo Jima... but maybe it's an unfair comparison as this tries more to be a character study. What perhaps lets the film down is that there isn't a whole lotta depth given to the main character and it's very much a by-the-book, straightforward telling of (based-on) true events.

Decent enough though.

7/10

Des

Style Icon
    American Sniper's trailer was brilliant, but that was it. The film was average. I felt like watching Lone Survivor again instead. a proper Fck yeah America film!!

Birdman
    I was enjoying it for the first 20 mins til i lost interest in the whole theatre stuff. Not that I dislike theatre. I thought Lion King at the Lyceum was great!

Style Icon
    I haven't had the chance or inclination to go to the picture-house in years - maybe there should be a thread for films on Netflix/Amazon/Google, to help sort the very little wheat from the masses of chaff...

I watched Dallas Buyers Club last week on Netflix - ill review it in another thread if it ever materialises.

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last