FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Fashionisto

Gym advice

Hey guys, just a quick question really and it is this: What is your gym routine? (If you have one)

At the moment i'm building up leg muscle again and getting my ankle back in motion due to injury so it's a lot of cardio.

Mostly I tend to spend 30 mins cycling, 10 mins rowing, a leg press routine of 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 reps at increments of 10kg from 50kg to 140kg (so far I can't get beyond 110kg so I finish the reps at 110kg - Cheers muscle waste!) and then I finish off with a 10 minute blast on the elliptical trainer to loosen the legs up again and warm down.

I work a fairly physical job so I only do about an hour at a time as i'm usually shattered after work.

I've been trying to think of what i'm going to do once my legs are stronger but I appear to have hit a bit of a mental roadblock, so may steal a few ideas.

Trend Setter
    Hi mate

SQUATS are all you need. go as deep as possible - take the weight right down and make sure you are can do them below parallel.
    do 3 sets of x10, 1-2 mins rest max between each. job done!

Trend Setter
    What are your end aims? I'm not very structured but do a mix of weight lifting for all parts of the body really.

Tends to be chest and tris, back and bis, leg day or two, shoulder day and ab work is pretty ad hoc.

Walking from my car to the house, looking for lost keys. Walking up the stairs to my room!

Trend Setter
    Are you strong?

If not start Stronglifts 5x5 and just do that.

3 sessions a week, 45 mins to an hour per session. Full body movements and increase the weight each week.

Do that for 12 weeks and go from there.

Trend Setter
    Can anyone recommend a general routine for weight loss? I'm been watching the calories since Christmas - aiming to eat around 2,000-2,200 a day and then exercising in the gym to get down to around 1,750 net daily intake. So far I'm only down 1-2kg. At the minute I'm mixing running, rowing and elliptical, averaging around 4 gym sessions a week, but I just can't seem to shed the pounds I'd like to. I'm doing a far amount of weights but despite the adage that muscle is heavier than fat I definitely haven't put on that much muscle! I'm 32, 6ft 2ish and around 81.5kg. I know this is well within the healthy range but I'm trying to get beach fit ready for five months in the US.

Trend Setter
    Naturals, I'm nearly in the exact same position!! I'm 34, 6'2 and I'm around 85kgs. Any advice you get I'd be happy to hear it.
    I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to wear.....

I had an awesome PT - then moved country so stopped. Anyway, hadn't really bought into it before having played a reasonable level sport etc but getting older (37) and family/work means less time watching diet and effort in gym. That said he put me onto the principles of lift large parts first with a small part in the same set ie 8 deep squats (whole leg and core and back?) then 8 dumbell shoulder press etc. It takes about 15mins to do 1 rotation and as you get to the last 15mins its stomach cramps and tear time - really good work out! Drops the pounds without the treadmill as you don't stop so you work up a real sweat/heart rate stays up! Good luck!

Fashionisto
    exercise is not great for weight loss anymore apparently, those pesky scientists have now decided.

I'm doing the 5:2 for weight loss, and while it is tough on fasting days it does work. I'm down 15kgs since christmas

Running outside is my thing exercise wise, on a treadmill I lose the will to live, and by lose the will to live i mean stare inappropriately at girls legging clad bottoms.

I tend to cross trainer or swim when my legs are just shot due to yesterday's running, so gives a bit of exercise while they recover. I'm liking the classes too, but that might just be the bottoms thing

Fashionisto
    If it's weight loss in particular you're going for, I would say just keep an eye on what you're eating. Sounds simple but it's really effective.

For example, since Christmas i've lost 16lbs and that's all diet. I've hardly been to the gym as I switched jobs to working night shifts and started working 6 nights a week so I pretty much work and sleep.

I cut out bread, pasta, wraps, potato's, no added salt, no table sauces etc.

My diet consists of a Smoothie for breakfast at about 8pm (all fruit, nothing added to it. Just makes it easier to drink/eat a little at a time first thing), I take a small salad to work with me with a little Turkey, Chicken, Salmon or Mackerel for my lunch at about 3am and when I get in from work at around 7:30am/8am I tend to have another smoothie before bed, but a vegetable one along the lines of Spinach, Mango, Grape & Lime ... I won't lie, the vegetable smoothies are bloody awful but it's healthy, gets plenty of vitamins and nutrients into me without relying on supplements and my skin is probably the best it's ever been.

Some morning i'll switch it up and i'll have maybe a small steak with vegetables or something along those lines but I try to make sure that meal isn't too big as I'm usually in bed by 9am, 10am at the latest so there's no need for a huge meal at that time.

+ Reply to Thread