FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Style Icon

Music of 2013

What new releases did you listen to the most in 2013?

I compiled a list of samples from the albums released in 2013 that I've listened to the most (on Spotify). I always get surprised when compiling lists like this. It seems the older I get, the more diverse my taste becomes, which I find quite comforting, really. It means I'm still open to new impressions, and not just a grumpy old man, who thinks everything was better in the past. (Though actually it was, considering Ghost, J-Zone and James Hunter mimic old school stuff, and Nick Cave and Depeche Mode are quite old in the game...)

Spotify 2013 (Requires Spotify.)

Palma Violets - 180. They're doing nothing new under the sun, but it's new to them and they attack rock with the ferociousness it requires to make sense. They deliver kick-ass rock'n'roll with the right mixture of attitude, angst and fun.
    Ghost BC - Infestissumam. Not only a concept album, but a concept group. A worthy follow up to Opus Eponymous.
    J-Zone - Peter Pan Syndrome. Old school. The way hip hop was in the early 90s, when it was all about standing knee deep in vinyl, trying to find that beat and bass-line no one else had sampled yet. J-Zone is sort of a continuum of The Pharcyde, especially Bizarre Ride II.
    Kraftklub - Mit K. German The Hives. Nuff said.
    The James Hunter Six - Minute By Minute. Britain's got soul!
    Party Supplies - Tough Love. I rarely dance, but good dance music is always good dance music.
    Alligatoah – Triebwerke. When German rap works, it really works.
    The 2 Bears - Be Strong. Mix some Hot Chip with house and 2-step. Shake, don't stir.
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Push the Sky Away.
    Depeche Mode - Delta Machine.

Honorary mention: Mozart - Requiem. Not really released in 2013, but Norrköpings Symfoniorkester released it upon the world together with four choirs this past Easter. I was in the choir. It was awesome.

Trend Setter
    Some nice choices Marc I was lucky enough to interview Palma Violets when they played a gig in my hometown they were all really nice.

My additions would be;

Foals - Holy Fire (try My Number or Inhaler)
    Heavy, poppy, and anthemic
    Arctic Monkeys - AM (try Knee Socks or Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High)
    Sleazy, produced super clean and nice backing vocals
    QotSA - ...Like Clockwork (try If I Had A Tail)
    Calmer than their past stuff and a lot more variety.
    King Krule - 6ft Beneath the Moon (try Easy Easy)
    Kinda Joe Strummery
    Haims - Days Are Gone (try Falling or Don't Save Me)
    80s nostalgia pop but my god the hooks on this thing.

Trend Setter
    I usually listen to electronic music, but this year I've branched out quite a bit. Here's some of my favourite albums from this year:

1. Random Access Memories - Daft Punk (Huge Daft Punk fan; not quite like their usual work but it's an amazing listen)

2. The 20/20 Experience Parts 1&2 - Justin Timberlake (I started listening to JT's music this year, and tbh these albums are like my guilty pleasure. Are guys even supposed to like JT's music or is he going towards a female audience?)

3. Aleph - Gesaffelstein (Not for the feint of heart, but this is dark techno at it's best. Took me a couple of listens to like it, however this isn't daytime music, as it would suit something like a rave much better imo)

4. Yeezus - Kanye West (I'm not much of a rap/hip hop guy, however I did enjoy Macklemore's "The Heist" so I decided I'd give this a try. Definitely needed a couple of listens for me to enjoy it, although Daft Punk's and Gesa's collabs certainly helped. )

5. Majestic Casual: Chapter 1 - Various Artists (Found these guys on youtube, and I was hooked. It's nothing like the electronic music that one normally imagines, as it has a more chilled/relaxed lounge vibe. Highly recommended!)
    Last edited by malti001; 21-12-2013 at 11:41 PM.

Trend Setter
    @Malti I think you gotta admire how catchy JT is really. I loved Part 1 but wasnt so taken with part 2 just didnt do it for me quite as much. I thought Yeezus was great in particular the singles, if you enjoyed it I'd definitely try his earlier stuff especially the college dropout album.

Style Icon
    Here's the new albums that made it into the top 25 I listened to most this year according to my last.fm:

London Grammar - If You Wait

Heyerdahl - Øen
    Wintry indie pop with a nautical theme & a tinge of Joy Division, recorded in a storm-wracked Norwegian lighthouse.

John Grant - Pale Green Ghosts
    Confessional lyrics delivered in a gorgeous rich baritone & backed with eclectic electronics.

Okkervil River - The Silver Gymnasium
    Folky indie rock concept album based around the singer's 80s childhood, with plenty a homage to the era's music.

The National - Trouble Will Find Me

Marika Hackman - That Iron Taste
    Beautiful singer-songwriter, folky indie

Kurt Vile - Wakin On A Pretty Daze
    Lo-fi, guitar-based indie rock with languid drawling vocals

CHVRCHES - The Bones Of What You Believe
    Catchy Scottish female-fronted synthpop.
    Photographic exploits: http://ow.ly/su7Io

Musical proclivities: http://ow.ly/su7Ju

Assorted twitterings: http://ow.ly/su7Nb

I never listened to Drake, but I listened to 4 songs of his new album quite a bit.

Benjamin Clemintine- Cornerstone EP This was really new and probably the most recent.

Did some of Brad Paisley's new stuff. New to country.

I never listened to Drake, but I listened to 4 songs of his new album quite a bit.<br><br>Benjamin Clemintine- Cornerstone EP&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; This was really new and probably the most recent.<br><br>Did some of Brad Paisley's new stuff.&nbsp;&nbsp; New to&nbsp; country.

+ Reply to Thread