FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

The end of stereotypes in the ads?

Hi everyone,

I would like to have the opinions of several men about the topic.

We have seen that until the end of 2000s, the images of a viril, powerful and athletic men have been portrayed in the ads (see for instance the Abercrombie & Fitch ads). But, now, we are witnessed a new trend, in my opinion, in the images of men in the ads. Indeed, more and more unstereotypical men are uses, more androgynous, more outside the norms. To assert this assumption, we can quote for instance the #DieselReboot campaign (Diesel - Reboot) which used untypical men.

Hence my questions:

- Do myou feel more secured when looking at the images of unstereotypical men? (That may look more like you instead of perfect body)
    - Or at the opposite, do you prefer to see stereotypical male models in ads because it is a better conveyor for the brand?

I would appreciate to have your opinions because I think it is a relevant subject, for us, as we are always confronting and comparing ourselves with the male images around us (in the ads, in the movies...). So do not hesitate to give your insights about this matter.

Have a good day!

Style Icon
    In the uk the ( done to death ) trend is to celebrate the geek being either a hero or a magnet for women. The formula is he must be a bit overweight and have a ginger beard, nothing else will do. Everything from car insurance, breakdown, BT line connection or bankaccounts. About a year ago the trend was to have screaming kids being 'mischievous'. Last summer it was non stop adverts with a festival theme, with entire festival scenes created around chips, margarine and tea bags.

I can't say it particularly influences me in any way and I certainly don't feel insecure or otherwise based upon the advert characters, but I do sometimes wish the advertising agencies would be a little bit more creative.

Surely all thats changed is what the fashion industry perceives as the ideal body shape for men from athletic to androgynous and both these body shapes have some qualities that are similar (no fat guys!).So as for there being no stereotypes any more I have to disagree, there is still a lack of overweight, disabled and ethnic models. All thats changed is that athletic white guys have been replaced with androgynous white guys or as someone else mentioned geeky white guys.

As a porker myself, I do wish to see a Nick Helm, Seth Rogen or Jonah Hill take to the screen as a chubby chaser and not be the butt of all jokes. Although I hate the weight and tried numerous diets I just adore food, you sort of have to live with it, never accept it. ONE DAY! I will be skinny but obviously it doesn't bother me enough to do something about it. Even skinny guys, athletic guys and absolute babe magnets will have something they wish to change, no one will ever be Johnny Depp but he will wish to look like someone and have something to change. You get what you're given, live it, improve it.

I KNOW READING THE ABOVE YOU WILL THINK OF THAT TRUFFLE SHUFFLE KID FROM GOONIES but I'm not that bad, yes my bmi is 31, I am morbidly obese, but I have a lovely girlfriend, hopefully some modicum of style and above all I AM HAPPY.

Fashionisto
    I'd like to open the pages of Esquire and see a few chubbier models as well, but I'm too old and secure in myself to feel inadequate in comparison.

MR A-Z, my BMI is 31 as well, and i'm quite happy with my size now.
    All spelling errors & missing characters brought to you courtesy of Toshiba's Satellite keyboard.

Trend Setter
    I actually prefer to see models in really killer shape, because it keeps me on my toes. It might make me temporarily feel worse or question myself, but ultimately in the long-run I think it motivates me to stick at it in the gym and keep on building towards the look I want. I think using chubbier or slightly more unlikely (geeky?) models would make me complacent, thinking that just because I'm not overweight I don't have to try.

+ Reply to Thread