FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Trend Setter

How far do you travel for work?

How far do you guys commute for work at the moment in terms of miles and how long does it take?

Weighing up a potential new job but worried about the commute but not sure if I'm being unreasonable for the right job, it's about 10 miles each way and will take 45-60 minutes each way. I just hate being sat in the car wasting my own time.

Trend Setter
    10 miles really isn't far at all, easily worth it if you like the look of the job.

Fashionisto
    At the moment I only travel 3 miles, takes about 10-15mins

Style Icon
    Maybe 3-4 km. Takes me 15-20 minutes by bike if I go straight there.

I've deliberately tried to get work within bike distance. I don't want to rely on the car or public transport to make the weekdays work.

Style Icon
    I moved close to the office to cut down on travel time, so am now 1.7 miles away, but spend a lot of time seeing clients all over the place so can travel for hours. I booked a meeting today in Dumfries for example, and have clients in Plymouth, Essex, Bristol, Warrington and London. I stay in hotels for these so I don't have to travel all in 1 day.

I could not do a daily drive for any more than about 15 miles I don't think. In my current job / career I can work from home anyway, so it's not too much of an issue.

Trend Setter
    I'm thinking I may cycle occasionally if I go for it and have been looking at bikes today already.

Style Icon
    40 miles drive each way. Takes around 40 minutes in the morning if I leave before 7.30, 50 mins on the way back, 60 minutes on a Friday evening.

Fashionisto
    Spent 3 years driving from Derby to Coventry every day (circa 50 miles each way) That used to take about an hour.

I'm in a new job now and all over the country. Next week I've got London, Cardiff & Middlesboro. Will work at home the other two days though.

Trend Setter
    I'd say 45-50min is pretty standard and wouldn't stop me taking a job. I've done up to 2hrs each way, every day before and that nearly killed me (compounded by the fact that the construction industry expects you to be at your desk by 7.30-8am). Right now I'm 3km from work and walk it in about 30min. It's an absolute dream but I realise I'm extremely lucky.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartJ View Post
    Spent 3 years driving from Derby to Coventry every day (circa 50 miles each way) That used to take about an hour.

I'm in a new job now and all over the country. Next week I've got London, Cardiff & Middlesboro. Will work at home the other two days though.
    Just a heads up mate, as a fella from Middlesbrough, make sure you don't spell it Middlesboro or Middlesborough in any sort of correspondance to someone up there or they will immediately judge you and it sets you off on the wrong foot.

We are always impressed when someone actually takes the time to spell it correctly so a bit of a tip there for you

+ Reply to Thread