FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last

Male Fashion Movies

I was watching this movie yesterday with my girlfriend, 'crazy stupid love', and fashion ha a great part in how this movie unfolds. It puts emphasis on getting the right look to be successful (clearly in the movie it is to pick women), and I think that it gives some good insights and goes hand in hand with my 'Common Fashion Mistakes' series. It is a romantic comedy but I think you guys should check it out, it's funny and as I said gives some insight to men's fashion.

It then occurred to me how lacking men's fashion is in motion pictures. I mean yes when you watch something like Ocean's Twelve and other 'high-class, bond-style' movies yes they do in general look good but not to the extent that they target women's movies. While I don't see a male version of Sex and the City as something that would actually work, it would be nice to see some refrences to men's fashion in some titles.

Do you guys know of any good movies which put in references to men fashion?
    my moon my man

Editor-In-Chief
    Really like this thread and I actually just watched that movie this week as well - Ryan Gosling looks superb throughout.

I too would like some suggestions from readers that we might be able to target within our Celluloid Style series.
    Founder & Editor In Chief of FashionBeans.com. If you have any questions about the site or want to help out in moderating our forums, please send me a PM.

Our regular readers should check out FitnessBeans.com - our brand new website concentrating on men's health and fitness.

Sam

Style Icon
    Anchorman?

On a serious note though! I can't think of many films that take fashion as a point in the writing, but Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy looked fantastic, as styled by Paul Smith. I'd love to see an article on that one, ties in very well with the current trend for all things 70s.

Editor-In-Chief
    Going to definitely have to check that film out if Paul Smith had his way with the cast.
    Founder & Editor In Chief of FashionBeans.com. If you have any questions about the site or want to help out in moderating our forums, please send me a PM.

Our regular readers should check out FitnessBeans.com - our brand new website concentrating on men's health and fitness.

I don't think that targeted fashion movies for men would really pick up and be hits like their women counterparts. Society has yet to become more accepting and mainstream I guess. I will check the movie out thanks Sam.
    my moon my man

Trend Setter
    When I read the title, "Crazy, Stupid, Love" was the first film that came to mind. Easily the best romantic comedy out there, Gosling is my new hero. It shares some similarities with the Will Smith film, "Hitch", but I don't recall Hitch having the same undertones around fashion.

Old school movies like the getaway and bullit (maybe just steve doing his thing)
    james bond?
    the oceans films
    catch me if you can
    american psycho ... wallstreet
    fantastic mr ripley

depends what youre into

Fashionisto
    how bout Arthur - yeah the shitty remake with russel brand.

He is quite dapper in it though

Sam

Style Icon
    I'm a bit embarassed to discover Tinker Tailor was not in fact styled by Paul Smith. I was getting it confused with some of the posters he designed and, I believe, a photo shoot with Gary Oldman.
    That said, I watched the film under that illusion and didn't know any better on coming out; it really is fantastic looking. Tom Hardy's casual looks in particular are great.
    Sorry guys!

Trend Setter
    American Psycho, although not to the extent that the book covers his obsession with fashion
    North By Northwest - I recently read that GQ voted Cary Grant's suit as the greatest suit in movie history. The suit is referred to throughout the movie.
    Both Thomas Crown films are very nice to watch although I don't recall them specifically discussing style and fashion
    Both Alfie films could be included here too

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last