FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Criticism on your style

Hi guys,

I'm still in High School and it happens to me like once a week that a dude from my class criticises my style and basically says that I look like s***. He himself is dressed as average as it gets, t-shirt, hoodie, dirty sneakers, you know the deal.

Now to my actual question. How do you guys deal with criticism from unfashionable people? I personally find it really hard because I just don't know how to respond.

I hope for some help from you guys,
    Constantin

FashionBeans Legend
    Just tell 'em to fuck off.

Um, fuck 'em. You can't reason with stupid. It takes guys quite a while to find their own personal style, me 20 so years.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by gsihiller View Post
    Now to my actual question. How do you guys deal with criticism from unfashionable people? I personally find it really hard because I just don't know how to respond.
    You're a brave one! When I was a teenager, I dressed as nondescript as possible. Not because I didn't like attention - I was a class clown, played in a band and all that - but I couldn't take getting flack for my sense of dress (ontop of everything else you take flack for as a teen). So it was mainly jeans and t-shirt for me, even though I would've liked to dress differently.

The parent answer would be "He's just saying that because he's jealous!" but the truth is "He says that because he's a fucking asshole!" That kind of behaviour is holding so many kids back from acting and being how they would like to.

Anyway, best thing to do is probably to just let it slide. Talking back may just make it worse. However, one come back I've used when someone average/sub-average dresser offers negative comments on my outfit is: [Taking a sweeping look from their top to toe and back to top] "And I'm supposed to take fashion advice from YOU?!"

Most of the time though, I just leave it at "each to his own".

Style Icon
    Really good advice on this thread, sad that this still keeps happening but this is the reality.

Des

Style Icon
    Your first emphasis is that you're "still in highschool", which suggests you either know you're above it and them, or you at least expect this type of behaviour. Conform or be bullied etc..
    Its one of the reasons school uniforms are a good idea in school. But at 18 years old you shouldn't really be giving a shit about the scummer.

FashionBeans Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcLager View Post
    The parent answer would be "He's just saying that because he's jealous!"

When I was a teenager I used to get shit from people about the way I dressed. In general, classmates were fine, though you'd get the odd idiot who'd have a go.

What really pissed me off though was the teachers - they were actually the worst offenders. I had one teacher in particular who used to make it his duty to try and humiliate me in front of the class for something I was wearing or the way I had my hair. I could never understand - and still to this day - can't comprehend what the fuck his problem was... here was a grown man, in his late 50s, who used to get distraught by how one of his teenage pupils dressed.

Maybe it's because I never took any heed of him. Maybe it's because he knew that I didn't give a fuck what he said or thought, but one day he got so distraught, that he had a stroke... mid-rant, he dropped to the floor and had to be ambulanced off to the hospital. It must've fucked him up because he never came back to school.

I really believe that kids should be allowed to express themselves freely and that avoiding the mob mentality /fitting in with the herd, is a good thing. My kids will be encouraged to be who they want to be, not what others would like them to be, dress the way they want to and not how others expect them to, and if anyone tries to tell them any different, my advice to them will be the same as it was earlier... "tell them to go and fuck themselves".
    Last edited by DorianGrape; 05-03-2015 at 04:08 PM. Reason: typo

Style Icon
    This is the only time I can remember laughing at someone having a stroke (masturbation is no laughing matter).

But seriously though, what a twat! My kids are very much encourage to be who they want to be, sadly that also include having to explain that people are not always nice to those who dare to be different. Thankfully we've not had to do too much of that yet.

When my five year old's kindergarten had a Halloween party, every boy came as a Marvel super hero. Ten boys, and flippin' FIVE of them came as Batman! I love Batman, but c'mon! Anyway, my kid came as a tree. My wife asked what he wanted to dress up as and he went "I want to be a tree, with yellow and red leafs." So she made him a tree costume, it looked brilliant!

Trend Setter
    Marc, my boy wanted a pram for his teddy bear. So we took him into town to get him one. He picked a pink one and he walked the pram around town. The looks my two year old got from grown men was awful......its a sad state of affairs that in today's society a two year old boy pushing a pink pram should get that much attention.

I realised that the world is full of pricks in my early twenties, and that's when I started dressing like I wanted to, and not what was dictated to me by my friends, work colleagues or people in clubs/bars.

I've got things wrong and wore some terrible stuff, but that's all part of developing a style (like Josh said)....but one thing I haven't got away with is the retorts that I'll still get at 34...I just laugh them off as a) jealousy b) I threaten them somehow.
    I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to wear.....

I've once been told that I wear too many layers, sometimes with my style, I have to wear layers to get it exactly the way I want it, sometimes more is more. I just ignore it to be honest, doesn't really bother me

+ Reply to Thread