FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Career Paths

Hey there I am a massive follower of fashionbeans and other blogs and fashion scenes but this is my first post.

Ill try and keep this short... (try). I have just finished high school and am currently one of many clueless teenagers thrown out into the wide world. I am interested in doing something in the fashion industry so I was wondering has anyone got any helpful advice or just what other #menswear addicts do for a job?

Cheers.

Fashion is a hard industry to break into - you might consider starting a blog or perhaps your own fashion related business. These are things you can do on the side and build up yourself - because there are so few positions, you are unlikely to just walk into a position. You may have a better chance if you try to create your own personal brand as a consultant/stylist or business.

Hi William,

I have been fortunate to work in some parts of the fashion industry (im a photographer) and the one thing id say is that you are better off learning about business or marketing, then using those skills and your personality/personal interests to work into fashion.

Internships at magazines or brands do work, but thats more for the networking possibilities rather than learning things.

There is plenty of work out there in the fashion world, sticking at it, working hard and being positive will all help you along your way.

Wayne

Hey WilliamJames,

I'm based at a tech startup now, but I used to work for an online fashion retailer. As someone who interviewed a few candidates, I would say it's important to put together a portfolio that demonstrates your interest and talent. For many positions, this means being able to show work samples. If you're just starting out, however, then you might think about setting up a blog to accomplish this on your own terms. Get one for free from WordPress, or Blogger.com and then maybe think of finding cheap WordPress blog hosting when you want it to look more professional. Another option is to have a Tumblr page that shows off your personal eye for style. Social media can help you make a name for yourself (vlogging or tweeting for example), and will help you to get your foot in the door. Best of all, these options are usually free, meaning you can experiment with your ideas, look, and personal identity.

Those are my two cents…

Best,

Hen.

Trend Setter
    Trolltastic

+ Reply to Thread